Swiss Cat

Discuss track loaders here

Topic author
tim1casa

Swiss Cat

Post #1 by tim1casa » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:41 am

I've just got back from a walking holiday in the Swiss Alps, and whilst walking to have lunch at a restaurant/farmhouse I came across this 955K. It is situated at a height of over 1800 metres, which in feet is roughly 6000 feet up (in english). I enquired at the restaurant about it. Apparently it lives up there permanently.342.JPG[/attachment]
330.JPG
325.JPG
326.JPG

They are a typical alpine dairy farm. They graze their cattle and goats on high pasture during the summer months, from mid May, when the snow has melted, and bring them down the mountain in October when it starts to snow again. Apparently all the farm buildings are completely buried in the snow, and are invisible.
318.JPG
They must put the Cat in a shed over winter, as it is still in pretty good condition.

As they milk the cows twice daily, and the milk has to be collected, the Cat is used to keep the road open, not from snow, but from rain off the mountain. They obviously get some heavy rain at times, because one can see, while walking back down the track, the need for such a machine.
337.JPG
335.JPG
334.JPG
[attachment=2]346.JPG
There must be nearly a dozen of these water courses that cross the road between this and the lower village, about 2 miles away.

I used to own a 955F, loved it, so I was really pleased to come across this one.
342.JPG
342.JPG
330.JPG
330.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by tim1casa on Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
tim1casa

Re: Swiss Cat

Post #2 by tim1casa » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:44 am

Sorry. The pics seem to have got out of order somewhat! I don't know how to re-arrange them, now they've been posted. You should be able to work them out. The washed out road pics should be last.
Cheers Tim

Holger
Site Admin
Flag: Sweden

Re: Swiss Cat

Post #3 by Holger » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:36 am

Hello Tim!
Sorry for the wrong order, seems to be a bug, should be fixed by now.
Just edit the post and move the image-tags to the correct location.
Some resources:
How-To

Return to “Track Loaders”