Looking for a tractor unit

Talk about technical issues here. Questions and answers!

Topic author
Julian

Looking for a tractor unit

Post #1 by Julian » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:37 pm

I wonder if anyone is involved with trucks?

I'm searching for something like an ERF EC11 4 by 2 tractor unit, cheap(ish). Good clutch, engine, transmission etc.

Research indicates that the ERFs are good because spares are readily available, the GRP cab doesn't rot and the Cummins engine is a good one - however I haven't any real knowledge regarding what to buy or avoid so any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Cheers Julian.

v64paul

Re: Looking for a tractor unit

Post #2 by v64paul » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:28 pm

Julian, EC11s are getting pretty rare, especially 4x2s. a few years back i was involved in a project to convert 4.2 m tractors from 4x2 into 6x2 using a 5 tonne midlift axle. the shorter wheelbase (3.8 m) was'nt able to be converted. more axles equalled lower v.e.d. so as a result many died in the campaign. the ECX is the same truck, and the cab is a little bit nicer having been updated shortly before the takeover by MAN. good call for the cummins look out for oil leaks from the top, they get quite nasty and look as though they are coming from the head, but it's only the intake gasket. do a "top set " at the same time, injector seals and re set the tappets and jake brake if it has one and you've got one that'll pull like a train. the ECS uses a steel MAN cab, the early ones suffered as a reult of a fallout between middlewich and munich, wiring in the cab was all white with numerical codes which turned into good old british colour codes on the other side of the bulkhead plug making fault tracing difficult... it all went downhill from then on but i'm assuming you don't want to spend that much. if you find what you are looking for give me a shout, five years erf experience and more than a few courses under my belt, not to mention the all important wiring diagrams. lastly don't be tempted by anything with a cat engine or a detroit gas engine (yes really) the cat was never a good motor in this chassis, if i tell you any more you'll be as wise as me.... 8-)
there are old fitters and bold fitters but no old bold fitters...

Topic author
Julian

Post #3 by Julian » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:17 pm

v64paul wrote:Julian, EC11s are getting pretty rare, especially 4x2s. a few years back i was involved in a project to convert 4.2 m tractors from 4x2 into 6x2 using a 5 tonne midlift axle. the shorter wheelbase (3.8 m) was'nt able to be converted. more axles equalled lower v.e.d. so as a result many died in the campaign. the ECX is the same truck, and the cab is a little bit nicer having been updated shortly before the takeover by MAN. good call for the cummins look out for oil leaks from the top, they get quite nasty and look as though they are coming from the head, but it's only the intake gasket. do a "top set " at the same time, injector seals and re set the tappets and jake brake if it has one and you've got one that'll pull like a train. the ECS uses a steel MAN cab, the early ones suffered as a reult of a fallout between middlewich and munich, wiring in the cab was all white with numerical codes which turned into good old british colour codes on the other side of the bulkhead plug making fault tracing difficult... it all went downhill from then on but i'm assuming you don't want to spend that much. if you find what you are looking for give me a shout, five years erf experience and more than a few courses under my belt, not to mention the all important wiring diagrams. lastly don't be tempted by anything with a cat engine or a detroit gas engine (yes really) the cat was never a good motor in this chassis, if i tell you any more you'll be as wise as me.... 8-)

Thanks Paul, that's very useful info. I've been recommended by a chap at TDG to drop by Warrington Commercials and have a chat. (fingers crossed for tomorrow :) )

Julian.

spod

Post #4 by spod » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:09 pm

Julian ERF dealers down here very complacent after a long period of running Mercedes I bought a very well priced EC6 flatbed Cummins engined flatbed 4 wheeler which I was very impressed with it was excellent. After a couple of "incidents" with parts department I got frightened and went back to Mercedes sad isnt it? Hope you have a better experience you can certainly pick up some real bargain ERF tractor units if you take your time. All the best dave

v64paul

Post #5 by v64paul » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:54 am

The dealer issues are legendary. Even at middlewich they were abandoned by MAN, the training school had an MAN D20 engine on a stand in the workshop which management admitted they had'nt got at the school in swindon. The guys in r&d had taken an early, pre production TG-A rigid, pulled out the engine and installed an ism cummins. MAN denied this was possible as the can-bus wiring on the truck would not recognise the compartively out dated cummins engine. Cue red faces when they turned the key. The product, as were british trucks in general was a kit of parts and even today with the exception of some of the cab you can source those parts through many a good motor factor.
there are old fitters and bold fitters but no old bold fitters...

nick lamb

Post #6 by nick lamb » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:55 pm

Hi Julian,where in Warrington are you?
Paul,Grahem was in my yard on Monday,he's working on another hut for you to live in ;)

Topic author
Julian

Post #7 by Julian » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:51 pm

nicky lamb wrote:Hi Julian,where in Warrington are you?
Paul,Grahem was in my yard on Monday,he's working on another hut for you to live in ;)

South of Stockton Heath and the M56. You'll have to help me regarding Paul Grahem - the name doesn't spring to mind just now, but I have been up since 4.30 :oops:

Julian.

our kid
Flag: Great Britain

Post #8 by our kid » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:50 pm

Julian wrote:
nicky lamb wrote:Hi Julian,where in Warrington are you?

South of Stockton Heath and the M56. You'll have to help me regarding Paul Grahem - the name doesn't spring to mind just now, but I have been up since 4.30 :oops:

Julian.

Hi Julian
Nicky is talking about Paul (v64paul) and me Graham (our Kid) two of the three Hale brothers on this site, Nicky what a good idea my next project build a hut for Paul :D he! he!
(many thanks for all your help the other day Nicky) have you fitted that D8 fan coupling yet? you should get Paul to assist with his little E R F Spanners?
Cheers all Graham :lol:

Topic author
Julian

Post #9 by Julian » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:22 pm

our kid wrote:Hi Julian
Nicky is talking about Paul (v64paul) and me Graham (our Kid) two of the three Hale brothers on this site, Nicky what a good idea my next project build a hut for Paul :D he! he!
(many thanks for all your help the other day Nicky) have you fitted that D8 fan coupling yet? you should get Paul to assist with his little E R F Spanners?
Cheers all Graham :lol:

Oh I see now, sorry!

Have you got anything good for me to take a look at, I don't suppose you're too far from me? Better reply maybe via a private message incase Mr Pikey watches this forum :cry:

Basilbrush

Post #10 by Basilbrush » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:44 pm

Pick up a commercial motor on a thursday, it's crammed with tractor units, I would have thought you'd find an ERF somewhere in there. I get fed up with reading for sale pages but last time I picked a CM up for a read, tractor units were dirt cheap.

BB

Return to “Tech Talk”