Jcb 3cII oil/water mix

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
browuk

Jcb 3cII oil/water mix

Post #1 by browuk » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:30 am

Hi,

Well, my JCB 3cII has water in the oil and chucked a load of steam out of the bottom breather pipe yesterday, also see water pressurising out the little overflow pipe under the rad cap, initial thought was head gasket, it actually runs very well apart from the obvious water oil prob, I have been reading about the cylinder wet liners being a common problem, question, if I whip the head off, will problems with the liners be visible from above and second question, how do I change them, all I keep seeing is that they are an easy job lol.

anyway, appreciate any help/advice offered, I live in France which makes parts souring that much harder so any links for online parts would be great.

Thanks

Dave

Neversweat
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Jcb 3cII oil/water mix

Post #2 by Neversweat » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:36 am

Liner seals normally just fill the sump full of coolant - runs out the bottom of the liner - pressurising would normally indicate
head gasket - i don't know if they suffer from porous liners when the coolant could get on top of the piston :?: depending where the porous bit is of course.
Liners are best viewed with the sump off - then pressure test the system - face full of coolant - bobs your uncle :thumbup:

Steve :D

Topic author
browuk

Post #3 by browuk » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:55 am

thanks, think I will take the head off and have a look, hoping its just head gasket and a relatively cheap easy repair, I assume not but are there any special tools required in removing the head? and again, looking at it, it appears to be very easy to take off unless anyone else can say otherwise.

Topic author
browuk

Post #4 by browuk » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:42 pm

pulled it all apart, head gasket looked ok, been replaced at somepoint by previous owner, have discovered though that the water pump is knackered ( spins freely on shaft so no circulation atall, everything looks good so gonna do the head gasket, sort out the whole cooling system and give it a whirl, its an easy job so if it dont last long and has to come apart again later on then so be it, just need it running again to do some small work.

Edit: forgot to ask, does anyone know the torque setting for the head and also the sequence for tightning?

essexpete

Post #5 by essexpete » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:54 am

You may not want to go to the expense but it would be good to have the head pressure tested and skimmed. We had a 4.98 engine that blew the head gasket more than once. Also have youchecked the rad is clear through the cooling fins?

Topic author
browuk

Post #6 by browuk » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:40 am

Hi, to be honest, I wasn't going to bother 2 reasons really, I havn't a clue where to take it here in rural France and 2nd, expense. the rad is chocked with gunge at the bottom, I have taken everthing apart, all te hoses off, water pump etc, going to blast the rad through a few times until clean, new water pump etc and hope for the best really. wish me luck :D

Topic author
browuk

Post #7 by browuk » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:38 pm

Head gasket and water pump on their way, should have it back together by the end of the week, fingers crossed it works.

Still need to know the tightning sequence and torque settings though if anyone can help?

essexpete

Post #8 by essexpete » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:27 am

Never had a book rang a friend for the answers. You could ask on the Leyland/Nuffield forum if no one knows on here. You could easily work out a sequence but the torque ought to be right.

Just found this but there appears to be two settings??

http://www.thenuffieldandleylandtractorclub.co.uk/wp/wp-content/themes/nuffield/images/Middleweight torque settings.PDF

Yet more conflicting info: http://www.puddingsworld.com/Machinery/Leyland_Tractor/Leyland_272/leyland_272_general_data.htm

Topic author
browuk

Post #9 by browuk » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:18 am

thats great,thanks. 100 lbf ft it is then, I know I could work out a sequence but wanted to do something right :D

St Marks

Post #10 by St Marks » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:10 pm

I have just put the head back on my 3c, so I have the sequence.
If you still need it just email me & I will be pleased to send you it.
mark (at) broomfleet dot fslife dot co dot uk , vous comprendrez?

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”