1982 Jcb 3cx transmission carrier shaft and gear ring.

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
Bernie84
Flag: Australia

1982 Jcb 3cx transmission carrier shaft and gear ring.

Post #1 by Bernie84 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:00 am

Gday guys.
After getting stuck right into resealing all the hydraulic rams on my 1982 Jcb, I’ve now pulled the transmission out to fix it also. Upon purchasing the backhoe off an older guy, he told that the transmission plates might need replacement because when the machine runs hot it doesn’t seem to work. Having now split the transmission it’s evident that the plates are all in nearly new condition. I dug further and saw that the carrier shaft aka pinion cage has really damaged gears on it. On closer inspection the gear ring is also damaged. When I pulled the transmission off the gearbox I noticed that one sleeve was missing. According to the Manuel There is supposed to be two individual sleeves that prevent the carrier shaft from excessively moving. I now realise what the problem is and was wondering if anyone on this website knows where I can get a replacement carrier shaft and gear ring? I did get a quote off the Jcb mob here in Australia and they quoted me 1500 Aussie bucks to get one shipped from the UK. It seems dear but I guess that’s a fair price. If anyone knows of a gear ring I would most probably be interested. I just thought I ask to see if anyone might know where parts for the older JCB’s can be found?
I’ll send a few pictures through of the damage done in the transmission.
Last edited by Bernie84 on Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Bernie84

Re: 1982 Jcb transmission carrier shaft and gear ring.

Post #2 by Bernie84 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:04 am

Topic author
Bernie84

Re: 1982 Jcb transmission carrier shaft and gear ring.

Post #3 by Bernie84 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:08 am

I’m a bit worried about the housing of the transmission, if the carrier shaft is so chewed out maybe the housing of the actual transmission is also damaged. Running my finger over the housing hole I can feel a bit of wear from the metal oil rings but when I insert the carrier shaft and give it a jiggle there’s movement but not too much. Just wondering what you guys think.
I’d appreciate any advice and thank you in advance.
Cheers

Bernie

essexpete

Re: 1982 Jcb 3cx transmission carrier shaft and gear ring.

Post #4 by essexpete » Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:35 pm

I am no mechanic Bernie but that carrier does not look good. Is that the ring gear in the last photos? The Teeth in there are damaged as well. I guess the problem is sourcing a good second hand unit? Could do with a Borg Warner expert to say/know if there are other application where you might pick up spares. The shuttle was used in marine applications without the torque converter. In the UK we have a JCB supplier of secondhand parts that has extensive knowledge of the shuttle unit - Simon Vicary of Vicary plant in Husbands Bosworth Leicestershire.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #5 by Jeremy Rowland » Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:46 pm

Bernie as Pete has stated you would do well to contact Vicary they are very helpful from what I have been told, otherwise your only other option is finding a more local machinery breaker near to where you live, or getting parts made in a local engineering company which may just prove to be as expensive as getting the bits shipped from JCB. Please let us know how you resolve this issue. :thumbup:

Jeremy

mechman
Flag: Great Britain

Post #6 by mechman » Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:54 am

Hi Bernie 84.
As said above. Vicary plant spares, 01858880219 ask for Simon, also have look on their Web site. I've dealt with them a few times, very helpful.
Norm.

Topic author
Bernie84

Post #7 by Bernie84 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:27 am

Thank you very much for the information. I’ve got a couple of blokes onto it here in Australia. Everyone tells me it’s near on impossible to find parts here. If it’s no good good in aus, I’ll try the uk. Thanks so much everyone for the input.

Topic author
Bernie84

Post #8 by Bernie84 » Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:49 am

I’ve found a complete transmission out of a 1988 Jcb 3cx. Does anyone know if this will fit my 1983 3cx?
It’ll cost me around 4600$ by the time I get it to my place. Do you you recon it’s worth it or am I better off talking to Vicary?
Cheers
Bernie

agrimax
Flag: Great Britain

Post #9 by agrimax » Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:36 pm

An 88 transmission would be a JCB's own Synchroshuttle whereas the 82 model had the Borg Warner unit. Your own will have a cable operated lever for f/r but the newer one will have an electrical switch,wiring and relays etc to operate the solenoids and dump valve. I'd expect the prop shaft/s to be different too.Probably a different input shaft to the torque converter too...

essexpete

Post #10 by essexpete » Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:18 pm

agrimax wrote:An 88 transmission would be a JCB's own Synchroshuttle whereas the 82 model had the Borg Warner unit. Your own will have a cable operated lever for f/r but the newer one will have an electrical switch,wiring and relays etc to operate the solenoids and dump valve. I'd expect the prop shaft/s to be different too.Probably a different input shaft to the torque converter too...

Rear mounts as well?

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”