more problems...more part numbers

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
mambo
Flag: Great Britain

Re: more problems...more part numbers

Post #31 by mambo » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:09 pm

Ok thanks again for your help Trevor, the stub axle is now back in. Unfortunately the shaft was quite badly worn in the area where it would contact the bushes, so rather than take material from the bushes I carefully filed the area between them to fit the bushes. I know it sounds backwards but it had to be done this way or the bushes would have been too loose.
Anyway it's done now and seams pretty tight, I did have to work it back and forth while applying pressure from below with a trolley jack.
BTW Trevor both bushes are the same size, I think it was just the camera angle that made one look smaller.
Now all I have to do is get the felt washer compressed enough to get the retaining ring bolted back up, any ideas anyone? there must be a special way :dizzy:

IMG_0524.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TrevorJ
Flag: Australia

Post #32 by TrevorJ » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:48 am

If it wasn't that worn, then it makes sense to remove up ½ mm or 20 thou from the shaft instead of the bushes.

The parts diagram had them as both the same, but from looking at your pics I thought it might have been modified.

That felt washer in the pic looks pretty thick , more like the thickness that would be expected at the bottom. - is the recess in the housing on top as deep as the recess in the hosing at the bottom?

Looking at the parts diagram, part 27 looks thick, (which I'd assume was also a felt washer - a seal there makes no sense) while part 25 looks very much thinner.

Topic author
mambo

Post #33 by mambo » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:28 am

part 27 is a thrust bearing
part 24 is that felt washer
part 25 is the thin shims that the felt washer can be seen sitting on

TrevorJ

Post #34 by TrevorJ » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:10 pm

Heh, :oops: I didn't look hard enough - guess I was hoping the setup had two felt washers, and they'd supplied you with one that was too thick. I could see from earlier pics there isn't much room on top.

So I guess if the shaft is home and up as far as it can go - about all you can do is oil up (saturate) the felt ready for installing and just squeeze up the remaining 3/8 inch so the collar is down ... somehow.

Stormin

Post #35 by Stormin » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:39 pm

You can just about see the hole in the kingpin shaft through the collar holes there. A reasonable weight or someone pressing on top and some tapered pins or punches driven into the holes in the collar from either side should draw the collar down. Hopefully then one of the tapered pins can be removed and the locking bolt driven through. If not replace the taper punches and leave them a day or two until the fibre washer learns to behave and assume it's new position, then try again.

Topic author
mambo

Post #36 by mambo » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:32 pm

So far i have soaked the washer in oil as Trevor suggested. It is currently pressed between 2 pieces of ply in my vice, compressed down to about 5mm where it will stay for 24 hours then i'll do as you say with the punches Norman

Topic author
mambo

Post #37 by mambo » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:11 pm

Ok i've had it with the felt washer, life is too short to waste this amount of time trying to squash something far beyond the relms of what is possible :(

Tail is firmly tucked between legs :(

TrevorJ

Post #38 by TrevorJ » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:57 am

When things ought to fit, but don't - the first thing it to look over you're job to see what didn't go back right - the second thing to do, is ponder if you were given the right part in the first place. :)

The shaft looks exactly the same distance from when you pulled it apart, so the washer, if it won't fit, is too thick. I suppose I should have mentioned in my earlier response, if after an hour or so of struggling, (using two pieces of ply to train it overnight was a very good idea though,) you should consider adjusting the thickness of the felt, but only enough to allow the collar to be installed.

Oiling does help with felt flexibility, but I mainly mentioned it as I noted your felt was still dry. Felt used as a seal against a bearing or under an inspection plate, should be installed having been soaked with oil first.

Topic author
mambo

Post #39 by mambo » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:29 pm

Ok ive got it all back together now. I just cut the fiber washer in half, and with some persuasion i managed to get it back together. For what its worth and the amount of work it does i'm sure it will be fine, well its 200% better than it was before so :thumbup:

Thanks again for your help Trevor, I couldn't have done it without your knowledge and encouragement

So back to work, for now :brravo:

TrevorJ

Post #40 by TrevorJ » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:02 am

In half ... and still hard to install. :thumbsup: It'll be almost like brand new. :)

You're welcome.

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”