JCB 3C Mk3 Powertrain - Shuttle problem & Oils Needed?

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Camelot
Flag: Australia

Re: JCB 3C Mk3 Powertrain - Shuttle problem & Oils Needed?

Post #21 by Camelot » Thu May 23, 2024 5:20 am

essexpete wrote:Just to be sure, have you got the non electric shuttle lever? Did you check the oil level while idling or immediately on stop? The symptoms do sound like a problem with the forward pack as you have reverse.

Hi Thanks for replying, yes I checked while idling and none electric shuttle, like I say reverse now works a treat, just wish it went forward. If I can find some easy to follow instructions I'll have a go at stripping and rebuilding the clutch plates, I just need to see where I can buy them in Oz.

Cheers Nigel

gecko.cx

Post #22 by gecko.cx » Thu May 23, 2024 7:13 am

Camelot wrote:I just need to see where I can buy them in Oz.

The two places to start are:
jcbcea.com.au (the jcb importer)
rht.com.au (oem & non-oem parts as well as used parts)

essexpete

Post #23 by essexpete » Thu May 23, 2024 11:24 am

There are folk on here that have stripped and repaired these Borg Warner shuttles, perhaps they will give some advice. I have assisted a good mechanic in removing these transmissions, it is not too hard. Basically jack up the rear of the machine and wedge in some heavy timber between the lower backhoe cross rail and the jack feet. You will then need to disconnect anything and everything connected to the shuttle and gearbox, including the prop shaft, gear lever, electrical connections, pipes to cooler and anything else. The rear of the engine then needs supporting with something solid ( I can't remember if we dropped the rear of the engine slightly when the rear iso mounts were removed). Our guy had made a shaped cup to fit the sump of the shuttle onto a trolley jack. Support the shuttle (and gear box) with the wheels of the the jack fore and aft and remove the bolts on the bellhousing and the rear mounts. Then slide the whole lot rearwards and lower. The convertor unit remains on the machine and you know that is working. The gearbox is then split from the shuttle in order to work on the shuttle.
I will hand over to someone with more knowledge. I would say, the general consensus is to replace the the transmission pump, all clutch pack parts forward and reverse and a big Belville washer that can also break.
I suppose before you doing anything it would be sensible to check the spool is travelling to fully engage forward but if there has been slippage then the forward clutch pack will likely be damaged. The pros would also run a pressure check, but i doubt that give you any more info.
With regard to use, when repaired, don't push too high a gear when working and get the transmission over hot. Avoid shuttling with the machine rolling and don't feather the transmission on the dump pedal.
Hope this is of help.

Camelot

Post #24 by Camelot » Sun May 26, 2024 4:04 am

Essexpete Thank you for your response there is quite a bit to think about, I will buy the parts first and then see if I'm up to it.

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”