New toy

Discuss tractors here

Topic author
hair bear
Flag: Great Britain

Re: New toy

Post #21 by hair bear » Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:56 pm

We had a grey that smoked like a train but no fire.
Thanks, it's quite tidy for 45. It's a fine line between keeping it original and giving it a three-field restoration.
Yes it has the spacer. That little bit extra gives more room between the gear stick and the seat - makes a hell of a difference. As I understand it, under the 500 metalwork/rust composite is a 148 'super spec', whatever that means.
First match of the year used to be near Farnham on the sand there, polished up the boards for the rest of the season.
My first thought on the mini triple was just because you can, doesn't mean you should. From what I could see both front axles removed, a fabricated pivot installed, and the heavily modified rear linkage was carrying a full size 2 furrow Ransomes plough.
If a LandRover doesn't leak oil, it's run out.

Topic author
hair bear

Post #22 by hair bear » Sat May 25, 2024 9:09 pm

Not so much 'new toy', more 'needed accessory'!

Topic author
hair bear

Post #23 by hair bear » Thu Jun 20, 2024 11:34 pm

So, going back to post 1, and my comment of 'a minor problem with the hydraulics'.
The position control lever on the hydraulic services quadrant didn't work. I was sort of suspecting to engage in some gearbox gynaecology but with wifey on the levers, from underneath I could see the draft lever linkage moving, but the position lever did nothing. I could move the position linkage so that was free and could see the lever (in cab) had it's roll pin through it, and I could see the lever shaft move with the lever so it appeared to be the other end of the shaft not moving the linkage.
Got the quadrant box out and on the bench, 4 bolts, 5 minutes. The Position lever (in cab) is fixed to the center shaft with a roll pin, with a similar set up with a roll pin at the outer end to move the control mechanism. This roll pin was broken. Had to take the shaft from the quadrant to get the broken bit out but all back together and working as it should in under 2 hours.
All happy? No.
Messing around with the link box today and instead of pushing the draft lever all the way forwards to lower it, old numpty fingers pushed the position lever all the way forwards instead. The result was interesting. There was a loud click as the lever went forward, then the lever pulled back up as far as 'constant pumping' and jammed - this is where the external linkage was stuck previously.
Looking underneath, the turnbuckle adjuster on the position link rod was caught on the edge of the opening where the rod comes through from the cab.
Long story short, there is a flexible hydraulic pipe running from the top casing (somewhere near the stackpipe) through a 90deg bend to a coupling on the rh rear panel. This has obviously been replaced at some point and the new pipe is a little too long. The result being the extra length gave a wider radius and was causing it to push against the control linkage, which was in turn forced off center to the right and causing the jam. The previous owner then probably gave the lever a hearty shove which broke the roll pin off in the constant pumping position!
I will need to revisit the routing of said pipe at some point but is now held out of the way with a hoofing great zip tie, and the levers are all moving as they should.

I think this is known as cause and effect.

essexpete

Post #24 by essexpete » Fri Jun 21, 2024 12:13 am

Useful little tractor Rob.

Return to “Tractors”