Fuel shortage !!!

Talk about everything else here.

Topic author
martyn williams

Fuel shortage !!!

Post #1 by martyn williams » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:48 am

Its been crazy around here with petrol stations running dry.Cameron and co have cocked it up this time.Saw one guy filling up five plastic petrol cans in his boot.No shortage of pasties though :lol:
Martyn

tctractors
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Fuel shortage !!!

Post #2 by tctractors » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:04 pm

Martyn I never sweat about when the pumps run dry, last time there was this crap going on, the powers said it was O.K. to use "Vimto" my chariot was brim full after every site visit, it took a few thousand miles to drain the tank low enough to need topping up at Tesco's, but for the average person it is Hell of a disruption and causes great stress at a time when things are tough enough.

bigkit

Post #3 by bigkit » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:18 pm

I'm with you Tony. :thumbup: You gotta keep them wheels rollin'! :lol:

lynchy

Post #4 by lynchy » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:39 pm

Went from Bromley to Croydon thurs night,every petrol station was qued out or closed,Tesco's were rammed with cars,neededjuice to get home,300 miles!on fri but couldn't be arsed waiting,just chanced it setting off fri afternoon,straight into and filled up at first garage,though the bloke said they'd be empty by night time!This is no way to run a country thats economically on its knees!Problem is once one panics,everyone's on it,can't rely on any governments,be out of a job if i said i couldn't get there!

Topic author
martyn williams

Post #5 by martyn williams » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:07 am

Was out and about in work yesterday ,did just over 300 miles.The petrol stations around Westbury had no cars on the forecourt.Bet they are all full of fuel now.Shows you how quick a bit of poor advice can screw things up.
Back out again this morning.
Martyn

Julian

Post #6 by Julian » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:33 am

B100 LOADER wrote:.Shows you how quick a bit of poor advice can screw things up.

Martyn

But can the gubbinsment win? Let's face it, if they hadn't given any advice then everyone would be squawking about 'lack of information' etc. If people routinely choose to run around on fumes in the tank then they should be prepared for difficulties!

I've got a barrel of red that will go into the cars if DERV runs out. HMRC allow this in extremis.

Julian.

Stormin

Post #7 by Stormin » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:40 am

I think the governments ineptitude has played into the hands of the unions. The union has been able to show how much power it has to cause disruption without actually calling a strike. This puts it in potentially a better negotiating position come Mondays talks.

Me, I'm running LPG in my daily driver so was easily able to fill up on Thursday evening, even at the height of the panic. My only concern was if the forcourts ran out of everything else they'd close rather than keep open for a few potential LPG sales.

Stormin

Post #8 by Stormin » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:45 am

Julian wrote:
B100 LOADER wrote:.Shows you how quick a bit of poor advice can screw things up.

Martyn

But can the gubbinsment win? Let's face it, if they hadn't given any advice then everyone would be squawking about 'lack of information' etc. If people routinely choose to run around on fumes in the tank then they should be prepared for difficulties!

I've got a barrel of red that will go into the cars if DERV runs out. HMRC allow this in extremis.

Julian.

Running on red has always been OK I believe as long as you declare road mileage and re-imburse HMRC for the extra tax. Just got to be up-front about it and not get caught trying to fiddle.

It's not just the motorists running around on fumes either. Story on the radio suggested with it costing upto half a million to fill the tanks on a large forecourt lots of retailers keep their underground stocks purposely low.
As far as your own vehicle is concerned, surely it's sensible to fill it everytime you visit the station as next time you go back it's likely to be more expensive. There seems to be a few more pence on a litre every week.

jcb4cx

Post #9 by jcb4cx » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:46 am

bigkit wrote:I'm with you Tony. :thumbup: You gotta keep them wheels rollin'! :lol:

same as , i have a couple of 45 gallon barrels ready ,
although this friday a yard was broken into and they had all the diesel out of the diggers, compressors , and a forklift :thumbdown:
every village has one , is yours missing you

Julian

Post #10 by Julian » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:58 am

Stormin wrote:Story on the radio suggested with it costing upto half a million to fill the tanks on a large forecourt lots of retailers keep their underground stocks purposely low.
As far as your own vehicle is concerned, surely it's sensible to fill it everytime you visit the station as next time you go back it's likely to be more expensive. There seems to be a few more pence on a litre every week.

That's true with the forecourts - it's another version of the 'just in time' mentality. I think that refining capacity and transport capability etc is also marginal so any little hiccup takes an age to recover from. What a world we live in :cry:

I never understand why people do not fill the vehicle's tanks full, I always do, have done so since I was 17. It costs no more in the long run - many people must have some sort of love affair with filling stations, going every day for £5's worth.... Very odd in my opinion, but then many people consider me odd so I give up. :D

Julian.

Return to “Off Topic”