Safety gone mad

Talk about everything else here.

Mike d550

Re: Safety gone mad

Post #11 by Mike d550 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:07 pm

I hate the slogans "where there's blame there's a claim" and "no win no fee" no wonder our insurance premiums are going through the roof.

To me there should be a common sense law applied to all of these cases and if it was deemed common sense was applied then the case should be thrown out of court and potentially fine the solicitors for wasting the courts time!

I was recently at a quarry taking some photos and on the reception wall was a poster detailing what P.P.E had to be worn on site, this included :- hard hat, hi-viz jacket (not a vest), hi viz trousers, and safety boots, though what surprised me was that rigger boots were not allowed! Am sure someone could inform me on that one?
The fact is i was then allowed on site and free to walk around crushing/screening plant and moving shovels. Thankfully common sense was applied by myself and those at the quarry and it was a good visit, but just because people wear all the P.P.E does mean they dont do stupid things and accidents will still happen!

To coin a phrase "common sense is not that common" but no matter how much you try and protect people against accidents they will still happen!

Excellent thread guys :thumbup:

redleicester

Post #12 by redleicester » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:16 pm

I'm amazed at how many definitions / classifications of safety boots there are, depending on precisely what they do or don't do.

With riggers, I suspect it's a case it could get trapped and pulled off a foot more easily than something laced tight?

Topic author
martyn williams

Post #13 by martyn williams » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:22 pm

The firm I work for banned rigger boots stating that they can cause foot damage as they are not strong enough in support around the heal area :dizzy:
Martyn

Return to “Off Topic”