Thwarted 7000 3T steering column.

Discuss dumpers here

Topic author
Steve.eastick

Thwarted 7000 3T steering column.

Post #1 by Steve.eastick » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:30 pm

Good evening to all. I have recently become the proude owner of a Thwaites 7000 3T 1986 dumper.
I have looked through a number of threads on the site regarding these dumps but can't find an answer so need to post.
The steering wheel and shaft both slide out when lifted. I can't see any means of retaining the steering shaft in the column. There seems to be no damage to the splines on the bottom of the shaft but can't understand what I am missing.
I have also been searching the web for some workshop manuals. Can anyone direct me please?

Thanks.
Steve.

bigkit
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Thwarted 7000 3T steering column.

Post #2 by bigkit » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:55 pm

Ring plant and engineering services in Exeter, 01392 882220. You dont get better service or advice for dumpers than that lot! :thumbup:

Topic author
Steve.eastick

Post #3 by Steve.eastick » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:18 pm

Will give them a call. They are local to me so even better.

Gerard

Post #4 by Gerard » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:02 pm

Is there not a bearing at the top of the shaft (steering wheel end)that is pressed into the outter shaft housing? benford ones I've done the bearing collapses at the top end and the shaft lifts out. might just need a new bearing at the top as the shaft is held in place at the bottom in the splines.

rock mover

Post #5 by rock mover » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:35 pm

My Thwaites has recently developed the same fault,luckily I was not driving it at the time,but pulling myself into the driving seat by the steering wheel !
The splined end of the column would then not go back in to the steerind box,so I assume the collapsed bearing must have dropped into the hole and will nead clearing out first.
Is there any signs of a top bearing on the top of your steering column,as nothing remains of mine ?

Topic author
Steve.eastick

Post #6 by Steve.eastick » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:46 pm

Humm, well there looks like there may have been a bearing at one time. I have been told the part is non servicable!!!! Well i will see about that. I plan on getting a needle roller bearing to match the column id and the shaft od, then bearing lock the two into position. Sorted!!! ;)

dumperthumper

Post #7 by dumperthumper » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:59 pm

There is a bearing at the top of the steering column assy, It is not an easy job to renew, it is rolled in position on the outer column and welded in position on the inner column. It is a ball bearing not a roller bearing. You will need to remove the outer column from the steering valve by removing the 4 x 3/8"UNF bolts, pay particular attention not to lose the 4 x spacers that are clamped by these bolts, between the underside of the outer column and the valve. The failed ball bearings and debris fall beneath the inner column splines and get compacted in the bottom of the steering valve female splines. All this debris must be cleaned out otherwise the repaired, renewed steering valve will not operate. the steering valve splines have to move in and out of the inner shaft splines during operation and must not bottom on the steering column inner shaft.
You have a choice of different steering columns, depending on whether you would rather have a small steering wheel. Should you need any more help, get in touch, regards Steve

Return to “Dumpers”