Pat Kelton Grading

Discuss large and small companies here.

Topic author
Mike d550

Pat Kelton Grading

Post #1 by Mike d550 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:01 am

Was on the internet tonight and came across several interesting photos of cat 740 ADT's which have a bottom dump style trailers fitted to the rear of the original chassis! The sign on the side of the body says E-Ject 45, which suggests a 45 ton payload! The machines are new and the company logo on the side is "Pat Kelton Grading"

There are photos on photo bucket if you search "thundercrane"

I dont want to post the photos on here without asking for permission and cannot find a way of contacting said owner of pics to ask for permission.

Does anyone know any more about these photos, where they are located or have any more photos which can be added to this thread!

Regards

Mike D550 8-)

DaveS

Re: Pat Kelton Grading

Post #2 by DaveS » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:07 pm

The E-Ject trailers unload in the same way as a scraper, with a pusher plate moving forward to eject the load as the truck moves, spreading the load.

http://ejectsystems.cat.com/cda/layout?m=261748&x=7&location=drop

There's a link to the spec sheet at the bottom of that page.

I wonder if the pictures you saw were posted by the same 'Thundercrane' as posts on the DHS board where there have been postings of fleets of these at work.

Dave S.

Topic author
Mike d550

Post #3 by Mike d550 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:43 pm

I've checked out the DHS website and yes its the same "thundercrane". I have sent an email asking for permission to put some of the photos of the trucks on this link, fingers crossed there will be some pics on here soon.

I wonder how much one of these E-ject systems costs as opposed to the dedicated caterpillar 740 ejector systems, and the reasoning behind the bottom dump system!

These ADT's and trailers look sweet, shame they don't use them over in the UK!

Regards

Mike D550

BulldozerD11

Post #4 by BulldozerD11 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:40 pm

There was an article in "Earthmovers" magazine on the Cat 740E ADT in November 2005 no. 19

Were/are UK built but the test machine was working in France.

Dave
Interested in Tractors, Plant, Heavy Haulage or Steam visit http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/Tractor_%26_Construction_Plant_Wiki
Help document every manufacturer model build, and record every machine in preservation, clubs and events etc.

DaveS

Post #5 by DaveS » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:29 pm

Mike d550 wrote:I wonder how much one of these E-ject systems costs as opposed to the dedicated caterpillar 740 ejector systems, and the reasoning behind the bottom dump system!

I can't comment on the cost, but it won't be cheap, but the reasons promoted for using them are that the payload goes up from the Cat's 43.5 tons to 55, and the heaped capacity from 31 to 46 cubic yards, plus the unloading cycle is on-the-move, with no dump box to lift and lower, apprently giving faster cycle times with better stability on the tip.

Horses for courses I think ................... :)

Dave S

Topic author
Mike d550

Post #6 by Mike d550 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:32 am

Here's some photos taken by "Thundercrane" who has kindly given permission to post his photos on this site. :thumbs_up:

Caterpillar have been doing 730 and 740 ejector models for a while, there were in fact D400E ejector models so these have been on sale for a while now. I have seen photos of Cat d series ADT on coal stockpiles with these bottom dump hauler configurations which look sweet.

Am not aware of these type of hauler either ADT or rigid being used in the UK, if anyone knows any different !!!! :thumbs_up:

Regards

Mike D550 8-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BulldozerD11

Post #7 by BulldozerD11 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:24 am

Mike d550 wrote:Here's some photos taken by "Thundercrane" who has kindly given permission to post his photos on this site. :thumbs_up:

Caterpillar have been doing 730 and 740 ejector models for a while, there were in fact D400E ejector models so these have been on sale for a while now. I have seen photos of Cat d series ADT on coal stockpiles with these bottom dump hauler configurations which look sweet.

Am not aware of these type of hauler either ADT or rigid being used in the UK, if anyone knows any different !!!! :thumbs_up:

Regards

Mike D550 8-)

Hi Mike

Thats a total different thing then from what was in the mag. :shock:

Missed reading the ref to the bottom dump bit :oops: in your post mike.
Thats more back to scraper tractors fitted with dump trailers. Or the Tractor and Swan neck Swanee poole jobs. But as you say like a scraper with the forwar ejection.
Must be to spread the load out and reduce the need for a dozer to form the spoil heap. :idea:

Think Bell were building some tractor pull units from there ADTs but that was to make pull tractors for the trailed scraper boxes. IIRC

Dave
Interested in Tractors, Plant, Heavy Haulage or Steam visit http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/Tractor_%26_Construction_Plant_Wiki
Help document every manufacturer model build, and record every machine in preservation, clubs and events etc.

Return to “Companies”