JMJ

Discuss large and small companies here.

Neil D
Flag: Great Britain

Re: JMJ

Post #11 by Neil D » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:46 am

Brian
Years ago (1968-70 I think) still at school I lived in Portadown and would walk down to the Bann bridge to watch John Grahams men working. I became friendly with a driver, PJ Quinn, who was operating a 68A.
A few years later I heard this roar from across the fields so went to investigate-there was PJ driving a new D9G for JMJ push loading 627,s for new playing fields at the new Portadown technical college!! Manys an hour I spent driving that machine!!!
There were quite a few drivers from Lurgan/Portadown who worked for JMJ-as far as I know JMJ was the three initials of the three partners who owned the company and when one of them died around the early eighties the other two closed the business in 1983 as they were finding it hard to keep going. (This I know as I helped Walter Kinnear rebuild a 68A around June/july 1983 and I remember him buying some stuff off JMJ before Banbridge site was closed.
A friend of mine known as Plantman has posted photos of Elliots machines elsewhere on this forum-any of you guys are welcome to pm me with phone numbers for a chat.

Neil Dillon

Topic author
komatsu d475-1

Post #12 by komatsu d475-1 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:04 pm

JMJ laser technology in late seventies :shock:

pk1200

Post #13 by pk1200 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:16 pm

where was that photo taken ? Mervyn

Topic author
komatsu d475-1

Post #14 by komatsu d475-1 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:36 pm

Not sure Brian,middle east somewhere maybe Iraq will ask my dad about these as i have more of them ive only been shown how to use a scanner today. :thumbs_up:

pk1200

Post #15 by pk1200 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:48 pm

all photos and stories welome

innes

Post #16 by innes » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:13 pm

komatsu d475-1 wrote:Hi everyone'
Anyone ever heard of a company that my dad worked for in the seventies to the mid eightys called JMJ.My dad used to run 657 s for them in the shetlands' orkneys and then all over the middle east.Our family moved to Iraq in 1984 for 18 months when he was foreman on a job in samarra . The company was sold to Burnett and Halisham [FAR AS I KNOW] when the work dried up .they were based in banbridge in northern ireland.He started of with a guy called Joe Snow before this.Does this name ring any bells? :idea:

Hi Mervyn,
I worked with friend of mine ,another fitter in the Falklands airport job and he talked about working for JMJ on the Shetland Sullom Voe job, apparently some of the guys reckoned JMJ stood for "Jesus, Mary and Joseph".The guys name is Ronnie McFarlane from Bolden Colliery near Newcastle perhaps your dad remembers him.
All the best Innes

Neil D

Post #17 by Neil D » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:28 pm

Innes,were you service manager for Liebherr Bathgate three years ago?

Brian, any idea where to get a copy of that Project newspaper? I must say I have a soft spot for JMJ, a lot of good lads worked for them,men who did not mind youngsters like myself plagueing them to get a ride on the D9 or whatever. If you showed an interest you were elected.

Anybody remember Lowes of Carryduff? When I started work for the Water Service in 1976 driving past their yard you would have seen their cat scrapers parked up and a few years they disappeared. Being the shy retiring type I was always too embarressed to stop and find out what model they were.

Neil

pk1200

Post #18 by pk1200 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:09 pm

Brian, any idea where to get a copy of that Project newspaper? I must say I have a soft spot for JMJ, a lot of good lads worked for them,men who did not mind youngsters like myself plagueing them to get a ride on the D9 or whatever. If you showed an interest you were elected.

Anybody remember Lowes of Carryduff? When I started work for the Water Service in 1976 driving past their yard you would have seen their cat scrapers parked up and a few years they disappeared. Being the shy retiring type I was always too embarressed to stop and find out what model they were.

Neil[/quote]
Neil, i have no idea about the Project newspaper,and never heard of Lowes, but i can remember Hamiliton and Preston from Enniskillen ran some scrapers at a time.

Neil D

Post #19 by Neil D » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:39 pm

Brian, I do know that Project was published by Morton Newspapers and if I get the time I will try to contact them.
feel free to contact me on 07860806696 and that goes for anybody else with the yellow affliction!!!!

Neil

innes

Post #20 by innes » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:44 pm

Neil D wrote:Innes,were you service manager for Liebherr Bathgate three years ago?

Neil

Hi Neil,
I was service manager for Liebherr from 1996 till I left last year in May,before that was service engineer and foreman starting in '86 after leaving Balfours.
All the best

Return to “Companies”