Final drives BTD 6 - TD 6

Discuss dozers here

Topic author
Paydozer

Final drives BTD 6 - TD 6

Post #1 by Paydozer » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:16 am

Hello,
Have posted this subject also on Redpower but have not had much luck so will try here.
In New Zealand we had both the British and American BTD 6 and TD 6 dozers imported.
I own a BTD 6 Serial # 12163 which comes out at about a 1961 build machine fitted with a New Zealand built Hamilton hydraulic blade.
I am always on the look out for spare parts and have been offered a complete back end from trans to final drives off a TD 6 of similar age I am told?
The big question is what if any of these of the parts fit between BTD 6 and TD 6. I can see that there may be different gear box ratios - maybe crown wheel and pinion ratios but what about steering clutch and final drive parts?
Also on offer is a D264 engine - was this the same as the British built BD264?

Any help would be very much appreciated.
Paydozer :eh:

martyn williams

Re: Final drives BTD 6 - TD 6

Post #2 by martyn williams » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:55 pm

There are differences,eg the starter motor off a BTD6 will not fit a TD6 housing. I have been trying to find out if steering clutch plates off a BTD6 will fit a TD6. The clutch drums look the same size so the whole unit may be interchangeable. When I get five minutes I will look at the part numbers of both types of machine to see if the are of the same and are compatable.I would guess that you could fit a complete backend to each machine as the fixing points look the same.But as you say there are different gearbox configurations between the types. The petrol/ diesel TD6 engine is obviously different to a BD264, but again I would think it may be possible to fit a 264 TO A td6 crawler with perhaps small modifications. Got a bit more time in the week so will look into it.

romneyman
Flag: Great Britain

Post #3 by romneyman » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:02 pm

Hi Tom,
This has got the grey matter going, I last worked on IH machines in the early eighties.
Anyway starting with the main clutch, the BTD6 had a thirteen inch three cam Borg and Beck unit the TD6 clutch if I remember correctly had a twelve inch two cam fitted.
The early BTD 6 had five forward speeds and reverse the later ones had four forward and two reverse, I can't remember what gears the TD6 had.
The crown wheel and pinion on theTD6 were straight tooth while those on the BTD6 were spiral. What type you have got can be checked by removing the PTO outlet plate at the rear of the main frame and with a torch looking in.
As far as I can remember the steering clutches are interchangable, the early BTD6s had ferodo discs but these were prone to breaking and were changed to a mettallic type, when this happened the number of discs in the clutch changed I'as the discs were a different thickness.
I'm not sure about the final drives do you have access to parts books to check the part numbers?
I think what I've said is correct but like old machines the memory gets a bit rusty.
Hope that helps
Peter.

Topic author
Paydozer

Post #4 by Paydozer » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:21 am

B100Loader/romneyman,
Thanks for replys - have only just ordered a parts book for my BTD6 after I was offered these parts.I have service manuals for both TD6 and BTD6 tractors but then again to cross ref part numbers I would also need a parts manual for a TD6. Hopefully some one out there has come up against this before.There are bits and pieces on other forums but no straight yes or no. But then again I might be asking a bit much as both series of tractor would have changed over their production periods.Although my tractor is running well i just thought this might be a chance to get some parts just in case.
Thanks again.

Return to “Dozers”