Hello from Farnborough Hants and Dorset

Feel free to introduce yourself here.
Tell us where you are from and how you found CMN!

Topic author
Chris Vince
Flag: Great Britain

Hello from Farnborough Hants and Dorset

Post #1 by Chris Vince » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:46 pm

Hello all,
I have just joined your worthy group.
A retired fireman (not firefighter, it was and still is a man's job!) retiring to Sturminster Newton Dorset, from the home of British aviation Farnborough.
We are extending and renovating a cottage here, I have been in the motor mechanic and building game all my life, but am too old now to build with shovels and wheelbarrows, so have been buying and renovating powered tools.
We own a renovated collection comprising, Thwaites Orion bought with a broken back (chassis snapped), a Stotthert & Pitt bug (non runner and completely unloved) , a Thomas Green & sons (Atkinsons) vibrating roller (another non runner and not used for 25 years after being vandalised, I found the original starting handle inside the water bar tank).
All of these were almost scrap (such a waste) and are now back in perfect working order, although not the prettiest looking.
We also own a Richard Smalley 430 grave digger (running but needed pipes and a good going over) for which I have modified 5 extra buckets, and made from scratch a 4 tine fork for turning over the compost heap, and a crane jib attachment
And a very old all aluminium Kango 1800 breaker, for which I am finding it impossible to locate steels/chisels.
I am a prolific contributer to the Nissan Navara owners club, and over 6 years ago responsible for developing the upgrade strengthening modification that stops the engines in these trucks from throwing con rods through the blocks!
I bought mine cheap with a rod through it's second engine at just 88,000 miles!
I really like and appreciate clubs/sites like these, it gives us all the chance to take away, and share our own knowledge and experiences for the benefit of the majority, nice to be with you.
Chris
Last edited by Chris Vince on Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smithhymac

Re: Hello from Farnborough Hants and Dorset

Post #2 by smithhymac » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:34 pm

Hello Chris, welcome along! Hope you enjoy this forum, there is alot of useful knowledge available from it's members and they are a friendly bunch from all over the world and even me a fellow sturminster newton resident!! I'm abit of a collector of classic plant, mainly Jcb though I also have a Hymac and a Bobcat, all from the 1960's so I'm sure our paths will cross out side the forum.
But until then Hi from me!
Morgan Smith

Topic author
Chris Vince

Post #3 by Chris Vince » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:37 pm

Thanks Morgan, you seem a friendly bunch.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #4 by Jeremy Rowland » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:35 pm

Hi Chris welcome to CMN glad you like the site. :wave: :thumbup:

Jeremy

Quiggs

Post #5 by Quiggs » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:28 pm

Hi, just to introduce myself. I found the Forum whilst searching for info. On a Thomas Green and sons Griffin Roller. I'a member of Llandudno Cricket Club and I volunteered to service their mowing machines, you"d think that I'd know better at my age. They have now asked me to have look at the Roller,as they req. to use it to prepare the Square for the season. And it's lost reverse drive. It's Reg. No:- TVPX 671. 1970. With a Hatz Engine :- Type F 75, No:- 16X0594400. From the photos on the Forum it's likely to be one of the Cone Clutches that's the problem. Any info, advice would be appreciated. Many thanks.

Topic author
Chris Vince

Post #6 by Chris Vince » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:43 pm

Quiggs wrote:Hi, just to introduce myself. I found the Forum whilst searching for info. On a Thomas Green and sons Griffin Roller. I'a member of Llandudno Cricket Club and I volunteered to service their mowing machines, you"d think that I'd know better at my age. They have now asked me to have look at the Roller,as they req. to use it to prepare the Square for the season. And it's lost reverse drive. It's Reg. No:- TVPX 671. 1970. With a Hatz Engine :- Type F 75, No:- 16X0594400. From the photos on the Forum it's likely to be one of the Cone Clutches that's the problem. Any info, advice would be appreciated. Many thanks.

Hello,
On my Thos Green roller the engine is a Petter AB1 with hydraulic roller drive, the only clutch it has is the drive for the vibration pendulem, sorry I can't be of more help.

shane.c

Post #7 by shane.c » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:02 pm

Welcome Chris

Quiggs

Post #8 by Quiggs » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:08 pm

Chris, thanks for your reply. Having looked through the forum It gave me enough info. to decide that the problem was one of the Cone Clutches, which I have managed to adjust and it is now back in action. From what I've read so far it would appear that it may be one of the few that are still used in a working environment. !

Return to “Member Introductions”