Megatruckers

Talk about everything else here.

TrevorJ
Flag: Australia

Re: Megatruckers

Post #21 by TrevorJ » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:38 pm

I've been sitting back waiting for the penny to drop, but ... (Yes I'm a B,rd) A titan here is a Mack, my eyesight might be rubbish, but I still make allowances for people writing with an accent as do I guess a few people do. Twigged merc was an abbreviation of Mercedes and not an American take off of Mack, so perhaps I should have said something earlier.

The Mack titan might have more hp than most here, but the brand itself has a bit of a reputation of under performing in a few areas. I also believe I've seen far more Volvos and Scanias than Mercedes up our way ... maybe I've seen them, but never really noticed.

Being built for European conditions, I'd imagine though, Mercedes has worked towards good traction for the variety of icy conditions it could face on a daily basis.

tctractors
Flag: Great Britain

Post #22 by tctractors » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:21 pm

TrevorJ, A Titan in Europe/U.K. is a Merc (German Chariot) that never under performs Volvo and Scania dont build any trucks within the Titan capabilty/capacity, both these truck builders keep to a more standard Heavy Haul spec' the Titans are very high spec top heavy haul units.
tctractors

Neversweat

Post #23 by Neversweat » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:18 pm

MACK Titan

image.jpg

M.BENZ Titan

image.jpg

Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TrevorJ

Post #24 by TrevorJ » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:32 am

Tony thanks, that explains why the Benz I've seen images of online look so suited to the task. If they're built to pull a low loader deck specifically ... the sort of loads where they need to be smooth and steady, that figures.

Oh yeah Steve, once (this was a while back I'll add) I twigged Merc = Mercedes, it was all very clear ... to me ... and I can guess by Paul's knee jerk he was more than likely thinking the same as I once had. wait what oh.

I am not a truckie, but aware one of the prime considerations for a truck with a load traveling up and down the coast here and inland across to WA, is reliability hence good cooling, long life engine, strong reliable gearbox and drive train, resulting in long service intervals where they can actually have them planned. ;) Some trucks on the roads are not really as reliable as some others.

Cooling is important, as sometimes on a clear hot still day on the right surface, the problem heat isn't just the engine, but the air just above the road surface ... problem enough if the general air temperature is already 35 - 40 C. Most of the older generation found this out the hard way, with our old 6 cylinder cars and a 3 core radiator fitted as standard.

Mrsmackpaul

Post #25 by Mrsmackpaul » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:52 am

Tony mate I wasnt looking for a war of words I was just haven a bit of wag didnt expect you to flip your lid but are well I cant keep everyone happy didnt mean to upset just a laugh not a big fan of chrome dont own a KW either aint expert heavy haulage man done a bit but everyone seems to no more about me than I do . however I do no you dont need some wiz bang flash bit of gear to shift a couple of hundred tons and you dont 730hp either anyway lads you all keep the dream alive loving your titan I'll stick with my Mack and then we can all be happy seeya's :D :D :D

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

tctractors

Post #26 by tctractors » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:11 pm

Paul, I would be hard pressed to to cop a "Hump" over flash headlights, I met 1 of your Aussie brothers in the Netherlands, he was buying a fairly complex tripple extender step frame, this thing was complete with 4 axle lines full power steer etc, the trailer builders dont look for sales in the Kangaroo patch, as they have no agent/repair and Warranty cover there, plus they have enough sales throughout Europe with this item well covered, heavy haulage in the U.K. could be now classed as anything over around 100 tons in a lump upwards, Graham who posts on here and is well known for the traffic jambs his low-loader makes every day is only peddling a Scania that is not top power but the spec' is Heavy Haul, the top Titan is built of "Wepons Grade" unobtainium and is well able to pull a big chunk, if I recall the DT 980 was chariot of choice for you southern boys at 1 time we sort of used em a bit in the early 1940's I sold the 1 I had about 4 years ago as it was a 3 day affair to drive to the Pub and back, (20'ish mph) I recall a Newport man (Near Cardiff) popped down to your Parish and sorted the big lumps up to some mountain with a bit of snow on so I dont want you to think big chunks dont get moved here in the U.K. if trucks here had K.W. Chrome bits on they would rust through in a week.
tctractors

TrevorJ

Post #27 by TrevorJ » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:33 am

" unobtainium" :lol: :thumbup: Yes, they'd have to be made of that if they wanted to go any faster on the roads with a load on around here, but pity about the load unless they could employ a better suspended deck. The roads become something most international visitors recognise as a highway a couple hundred KMs shy of the New South Wales border.

But I'd imagine Benz wouldn't be mucking around, the least would be all driven axles with diff lock but with ice in mind, maybe even computer traction control.

Rust :dizzy: ... I think the tropics here beside the coast put most steel things to the test. Stainless steel makes a nice looking muffler -- it looks nice because the metal isn't on auto destruct.

Mrsmackpaul

Post #28 by Mrsmackpaul » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:32 am

Tony you lost me at the start of your last post not sure what "cop a hump over flash head lights means" not in my Aussie language anyway

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

68a

Post #29 by 68a » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:32 pm

v64paul wrote:Wow,that stirred up some reaction... 68a , it was not that kind of injury . Broken finger,fractured knuckle, snapped tendon, two crushed arteries (1 did not survive) , 2 fractured metatarsal, wiring to to fractures some permanent some not. Oh and around 30 stitches, 6 days in hospital and 7 weeks off. Back in now, doing most stuff with my left hand but my right is getting better. Yes people this fitting lark is easy....

Hell fire Paul.I had no idea.I hope you get well soon mate and get to try that hand out again in the Hatton Arms.Take care mate.

68a

Post #30 by 68a » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:43 pm

Mrsmackpaul wrote:Tony you lost me at the start of your last post not sure what "cop a hump over flash head lights means" not in my Aussie language anyway

Paul

Hi Paul.I think he means that he didn't get upset about it.Other lines on this subject include 'didn't see his arse',not going into a 'huff' and been pretty chilled on the issue.
Sometimes sarcasim,wit,dry humour or just abit of general banter don't allways come across on the web to well.
By the way....what's with the Mrsmackpaul name?
Best regards. :)

Return to “Off Topic”