Broken Conrod.....

Talk about technical issues here. Questions and answers!

Topic author
Hugh Jaleak
Flag: Great Britain

Broken Conrod.....

Post #1 by Hugh Jaleak » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:12 am

Hoping to pick someones brain if I may! 08 reg Scania, decided to put a leg out of bed. Oil and water ok at start of shift, it hadn't done anything particularly strenuous during the shift, no lights, warnings or error messages on dash. Started with a gentle knocking, I pulled in and stopped. Boss came out to it, and left me with spare truck to finish off, he took Scania back to yard. It got there, (just) but has left contents of the sump all over the yard, and apparently has a piston hanging out the side of the block..... :shock:

Any ideas what could have caused it to do this please?

Neversweat

Re: Broken Conrod.....

Post #2 by Neversweat » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:48 am

It must of been a dream - Scania's don't go wrong :lol: :lol:

Is it the piston thats come out the side or the con-rod :?:

Steve

Topic author
Hugh Jaleak

Post #3 by Hugh Jaleak » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:46 am

Ah ha, so I might go in tomorrow and nothing will be wrong! :lol: Not having a lot of luck with the Scania's this week, the other blew the diff earlier in the week! I haven't seen the end result on this one yet! Boss had managed to get it in the workshop by the time I got back, so wont be able to look until tomorrow morning. Sort of why I stopped, knew something wasn't right, but at least it was running albeit with a loud knock when I stopped!

Only other truck i've known to drop a rod through the block was an '87 Volvo FL6. Driver did call in to report the preheat light hadn't gone out. Boss's son said 'Dont worry, carry on with it.' Driver called in again a few minutes later to report it had gone bang..... :o

tctractors

Post #4 by tctractors » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:23 pm

It might be a help if you stated what hp motor plus build spec fired to bits, and was there any history of illness, the 420 6 pot banger is fairly good, the 580 is not keen to let fly big lumps? the 440 -460???, they all need an oil change sometime, the reason for your engine falling to bits is to a great degree possible to find the cause/reason for throwing it guts onto the highway,but the reason its happend is ether lack of basic care, or engine faults not delt with correctly, if the engine was faulty from build it would usualy kill its self within the first 3 months, the Scania drive head units are well known for being fairly robust, the axle case sometimes suffer with cracking but this is reasonably simple to correct,the diffs are oil filtered on the modern style units with grease filled hubs on single reduction units, there was an issue with wheel bearings failing but these were easy to trace by build No with the crap plastic roller spacer cage fitted, Scania would help with the cost with these trucks, the early 530's had a crankshaft problem that was changed under factory control.

Topic author
Hugh Jaleak

Post #5 by Hugh Jaleak » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:56 pm

Its an 8x4, 114, with a 380 engine. (Hire motor so dont know its history.) We've had it a few weeks, agency driver been on it all week, I was allotted to it for yesterday morning. Oil was pretty black, but as said, I pulled dipstick before starting and it was just under max. Boss checked it at side of the road when he got to me, it had been standing for about 20 mins and showed clearly on dipstick there was plenty of oil left in it then. (Certainly plenty on the floor in the yard!) Also i'd have expected if there was an issue with oil level or pressure whilst on the road, for a warning to be given on the dash. :?

I do wonder if he'd got it towed in rather than trying to limp it the few miles back, if it may have held together. Once there's a hole in the block I dont suppose there's much can be done repair wise..... :shock:

Topic author
Hugh Jaleak

Post #6 by Hugh Jaleak » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:38 pm

Update! It hasn't put a rod through the block, apparently camshaft has broken, and that has smashed a hole in the side..... Dont look very pretty! :shock:

v8detroit
Flag: Ireland

Post #7 by v8detroit » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:17 pm

Hugh Jaleak wrote:Update! It hasn't put a rod through the block, apparently camshaft has broken, and that has smashed a hole in the side..... Dont look very pretty! :shock:

the 470 turbo compound have a bad reputation.usually a scania will treat you as you treat it.

tctractors

Post #8 by tctractors » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:27 pm

Nick, I have little experience with Scania's with this small engine, saying that the first V8 was only 350 hp, look in this weeks Comercial Motors for an artical on the 140 I spent many months giving birth to?? it would seem your banger is a stock 8 Legger that needed a bit more service care stuffed into it, Scania's love getting the "Boot" but you have to feed a willing Horse, I can see a few sparks flying soon with this delema???, keep your head down and look busy.

driving it like I stole it tctractors

donbuz

Post #9 by donbuz » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:09 pm

Hugh Jaleak wrote:Update! It hasn't put a rod through the block, apparently camshaft has broken, and that has smashed a hole in the side..... Dont look very pretty! :shock:

Topic author
Hugh Jaleak

Post #10 by Hugh Jaleak » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:19 pm

As a hire motor I dont know its history, and/or any previous faults or repairs. Our fitters (who have a good few years combined experience) seem to think it was a manufacturing weakness in the cam that could have let go at any time. We've had it about 4-5 weeks, it looks doubtful it had an oil change before being sent out to us, judging by the colour of what came out! :shock:

Its been swapped today for another truck, so has gone back to the hire company. Have to wait and see what the outcome is once they've taken it apart I think..... (We will soon know if the boss gets a large bill :!: )

Return to “Tech Talk”