Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
bighomer46

Ford 550 backhoe

Post #1 by bighomer46 » Sat May 14, 2011 2:35 pm

Can anyone tell me where the brakes are on this machine,
Are they inboard or are they drums or disc

The machine No is B294986

Also when I go to drive it on the road do I select 4th gear and then drive or can you change on the move as it is automatic (with gears) A little bizare to me.

Thanks

David

P.S
I will take some pics once it is home

martyn williams

Re: Ford 550 backhoe

Post #2 by martyn williams » Sat May 14, 2011 6:27 pm

Brakes are in the rear housing and are of oil emersed type.It has a gearbox and torque convertor. The direction lever is forward, middle for neutral and reverse.Select desired gear in neutral then put in direction. Its a common configaration on machines,Some also have a drive disengauge pedal like 3CX's.
The 550's are a good machine,very good operator comfort. If anyone gets a backhoe slew fault.IE only goes one way.This is caused by a fractured cast ring in the slew motor.This can be renewed by removing the top pin, remove slewcap bolts,jack of slew motor cap.Make sure that boom is central and suported.Remove centre vane.At the base is a cast ring about 6 inches dia.A small hair line crack in this ring will cause the fault.Just renew ring but re assemble with care to avoid cracking the replacement ring.
Martyn

Topic author
bighomer46

Post #3 by bighomer46 » Sun May 15, 2011 12:22 am

Are the brakes adjustable, or self adjusting.
I am concerned about the brakes as I intend to drive it on the roads back home, It is ony 20 min in the car but with a max speed of 25 kph here in france for tractors I would like to know it will stop before I start.

So I take it I put it into 4th gear select forward and drive it like a normal auto

Also does anyone know of a manual download preferably free.

Thanks in advance

David

martyn williams

Post #4 by martyn williams » Sun May 15, 2011 10:17 am

I last worked on a 550 in 1983 so will have to dig deep on my memory.If I remember right.There is a linkage that comes out of the trumpet housing.I am sure that this rod can be adjusted.But,over adjustment will cause the brakes to bind,overheat and will turn into a big job to renew, as the plates will overheat and become destorted.And yes,drive is as you say.
Could you take a photo of the rear axle area and those rods ?
Martyn

Topic author
bighomer46

Post #5 by bighomer46 » Sun May 15, 2011 12:03 pm

Thanks for the replys I will endevour to bring the machine home monday evening when all the French are eating, The roads should be calm.

I have to rig up a flashing light to drive it home so a couple of wires to the battery should do.

David

jcb4cx
Flag: Great Britain

Post #6 by jcb4cx » Sun May 15, 2011 1:33 pm

does it have a 4-1 bucket on it :?:
every village has one , is yours missing you

Topic author
bighomer46

Post #7 by bighomer46 » Sun May 15, 2011 10:30 pm

No
It only has a basic bucket on the front and I have three buckets for the rear.

David

jcb4cx
Flag: Great Britain

Post #8 by jcb4cx » Sun May 15, 2011 10:50 pm

bighomer46 wrote:No
It only has a basic bucket on the front and I have three buckets for the rear.

David

shame as some old tyres clamped in it would be an emergency brake
every village has one , is yours missing you

adamgirdwood

Post #9 by adamgirdwood » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:20 pm

hi, can anyone tell me whats wrong with my ford 550, the barrel or slew on the back actor leaks alot and the barrel moves side to side when using it. Is there bushes inside the barrel that are worn? if so does anyone know where i can order new ones. Im going to take off the barrel, clean it then take it to bits to fix it. Is there anything i need to know bfore i atempt to take it to bits? would be very greatfull if someone can help.

martyn williams

Post #10 by martyn williams » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:49 pm

Hello there.
Before you remove the top,care is needed.
1 remove top back anchor pin and move it forward away from cap.,remove cap bolts and hyd pipes.Back hoe facing straight out from machine
2 you will see threads in the cap,for jacking.cut off a some bolt heads and place the shanks in the jacking holes ( 3 ).
3 use three cap bolts as jack bolts.Evenly jack off cap
4 when jacking top cap,be carefull that centre shaft does not come out with it,gentle tap with nylon mallet will do.If the shaft comes out and then drop back in too hard,the cast ring will fracture.They are very brittle and a hair line crack can cause a slew fault.
Its a common fault on a 550 for excessive wear in the pin holes.On the bottom of the slew shaft are splines.see if they are worn.
There are two ways of taking up slop. 1 machine out and bush 2 a bodge,run a bead of weld up the pin.
Martyn
PS The cast ring is around 5 " dia and about a 1/4 " thick.Last time I did that job was 1983,so going from memory.Done lots of them though :thumbup:

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”