Plant & Machinery Magazines

Talk about everything else here.

Tracshovel
Flag: France

Re: Plant & Machinery Magazines

Post #11 by Tracshovel » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:13 pm

I must say that I always enjoy the Earthmovers magazine ....always got something interesting in it and the reporters are great at the photography. The CPM magazine I've got too admit was a let down at times...never quite made the mark that others did. Sure there have been some great articles from some of the knowlegeable guys like Arthur Smith, KH and FP but other times there has been just tripe filling rubbish. What made the break for me was when the editor wrote and published a report about the SED show...before it had even taken place...he tried to make it sound like he had the first scoop...all he did was rewrite the company pre-show press releases, which was S**T. I reckon the change of editor will make a great improvement....maybe I will even renew my subscription this time.

Topic author
Nick Drew

Post #12 by Nick Drew » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:10 pm

Tracshovel wrote:I must say that I always enjoy the Earthmovers magazine ....always got something interesting in it and the reporters are great at the photography. The CPM magazine I've got too admit was a let down at times...never quite made the mark that others did. Sure there have been some great articles from some of the knowlegeable guys like Arthur Smith, KH and FP but other times there has been just tripe filling rubbish. What made the break for me was when the editor wrote and published a report about the SED show...before it had even taken place...he tried to make it sound like he had the first scoop...all he did was rewrite the company pre-show press releases, which was S**T. I reckon the change of editor will make a great improvement....maybe I will even renew my subscription this time.

Hi Tracshovel, :thumbs_up:

Whilst I would agree with you that Earthmovers is a good magazine, I do think that you are being a wee bit harsh about CP&M :?
I enjoy both magazines but my heart is really with CP&M ;) My main reason is that I feel that they are more in touch with the readership and are more aproachable when you submit material for publication, I have had two articles published in CP&M both of which were dismissed by the team at Earthmovers, also in Earthmovers they no longer do a readers letters section despite many readers asking for its return in the last readers survey.

I also sometimes feel that Earthmovers is often hijacked by big companies who are simply looking for a bit of free advertising in the form of an article :(

Also dont bank on ever seeing your £20 if you have any photos published in the Picture Post section inside the back cover :cry: I never got mine and never got a reply to any emails I sent them :dizzy:

But on the positive side as you say they do publish some fantastic photos to acompany the articles which are top class :thumbs_up:

Please give CP&M another try Tracshovel, I think things are going to get very good again now that the new editor is in place, also at the end of the day they are very different magazines and shouldn't strictly be compared to one another :thumbs_up:

Nick :mrgreen:

martyn williams

Post #13 by martyn williams » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:37 pm

I am glad that we have a magazine such as Classic Plant as there is a huge interest in this type of equipment.When I was at Pontypridd show last year there were 16,000 visitors, a lot of kids loved to see the machines close up.Some of those will be the future of our hobby.Gary Boyd- Hope,the ed of CPM last year,was a little restricted in what he could do.It seems things were a bit political with the publishers. For a young guy,I think he did a good job.The readership is sometimes not aware what goes on in the background. Peter Simpson will do a fine job, looking forward to see the magazine grow.
Nick is right in saying that some of the big players can use their influence in some magazines for their own ends,thats the game they are entitled to play to get publicity for their products.
Whilst its great to see new plant developments.CPM magazine is, and should feature classic plant in the main.

Tracshovel
Flag: France

Post #14 by Tracshovel » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:39 pm

Yes Nick..I think Earthmovers has moved into a trade publication rather than an enthusiast one in the last couple of years hence the major manufactures get a decent spread each month. But there is not really anything else like it out there.

Also dont bank on ever seeing your £20 if you have any photos published in the Picture Post section inside the back cover I never got mine

Yeh...I never got mine either !! :( :( So they were the last ones I sent. :lol:

I suppose I could pick more faults with Earthmovers but it pretty much gives you what it says on the lid.

I think I was also thinking of a comparison of CPM with other publications by the same company - T&M, Commercial etc. some of the articles just have a lot deeper knowledge put into them than CPM has at times. Don't get me wrong CPM has and does have some interesting stuff in it but when they do a buyers guide on a 2003 machine it does'nt hit the mark. they would be better doing more classic stuff which relates to the main drive of the magazine. They also tried to do more modern stuff to compete with Earthmovers but lacked the style, content and knowledge. Hopefully with Peter now in charge it will find it's place again.

never got a reply to any emails I sent them

Had this problem with CPM. I fired of some good info once with pictures to the editor regarding a question in it and never even got a response.

I will certainly give it look again.

One magazine I do miss is the World Mining Equipment that Mike Woof used to edit. It was always pretty good and the info was usually bang upto date. Always had some good site/job reports from around the World.

martyn williams

Post #15 by martyn williams » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:46 pm

Hello Trackshovel
There has been a lot of articles/pictures that have not been used for various reasons that Peter has been handed when he became editor.He is wadeing throught them for future issues of CP&M,they recently put in a picture of mine I sent in three years ago!
Regards
Martyn

Topic author
Nick Drew

Post #16 by Nick Drew » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:56 pm

Well Thanks guys,

In the end we had a healthy debate about the magazines which was good :thumbs_up:

Thank to all members who have taken part in this one ;)

Nick :mrgreen:

Jack

Post #17 by Jack » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:52 pm

I have a subscription on earthmovers too.... I love it because like Stuart siad you get it about a week early!

Im also into Heavy haulage so i get "Truck & Driver" and "Trucking" when theres some HH in it! My uncles the garage manager at Pentalver transpoert and he goves me hes Comercial Motor magazines when hes done!

Im also into diecast models, Mainly trucks and demolition, but i get "Model Truck World"

Nielsje

Post #18 by Nielsje » Tue May 27, 2008 12:14 pm

Hey all,

I've got a subscription to the CPM for nearly 2 years now, and I'm not really convinced to expand my subscription.
Although some of the restoration article are really really interesting, it's a little bit 'the same every time'.

Every issue there is some news and a relative big article about 'new machines', I don't get it! They haven't got anything to do with 'classic plant'. And I really think they should expand more toward europe. Although the last issues were covered with some very nice Poclain articles, most of the time it's about British collectors, machines etc.

The worst part is about Kelsey, the publisher. We are living in 2008, but still it's only possible for a foreign person to pay with credit card! Everyone uses Paypal, except Kelsey, not very practical.

I think about switching to 'Old tractor' or 'Tractor & machinery', as a big part of my interest is in crawler tractors, you can find these in all kinds of magazines :)

Please don't think I'm to negative about the magazine, it's really nice! But my lack of english language knowledge restricts me in expressing my words in the right way.

Niels
In progress of restoring a 1939 Ransomes MG 2 :See it!

IBH

Post #19 by IBH » Tue May 27, 2008 2:22 pm

Nielsje wrote: But my lack of english language knowledge restricts me in expressing my words in the right way.

Niels

Don't worry a lot of English people have the same problem thanks to our less than brilleant educayshun sistum ear in Ingland.
----------

martyn williams

Post #20 by martyn williams » Tue May 27, 2008 5:26 pm

Whilst I am interested in new machines,the Classic Plant & Machinery magazine should be about classic plant in the main.With maybe a page or two on new developments. The way I see it,we have got to attract the younger element into our hobby.They are the future.
I would like to see more pictures from the 1960's and early 1970's as I think it was an interesting time.These days plant, like cars are predictable and even the various makes look the same.
Hopefully, editors will take note of our comments.
Time will tell
Last edited by martyn williams on Tue May 27, 2008 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Off Topic”