Hydrolic oil milky white

Talk about technical issues here. Questions and answers!

Topic author
jess

Hydrolic oil milky white

Post #1 by jess » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:01 pm

HI EVRYONE
IVE JUST BOUGHT AN OLD FORD 550 IT RUNS AND DIGS OK .I CHECKED THE HYDROLIC LEVEL IT WAS CLEAN AND CLEAR BUT A LITTLE LOW SO I TOPPED IT UP WITH SOME HYDROLIC OIL WICH WAS RED FROM THE LOCAL TRACTOR SUPPLIES. I USED THE MACHINE FOR ALL DAY AND CHECKED THE LEVEL AGAIN.IT WAS MILKY WHITE. IS THIS BECAUSE IVE MIXED TWO DIFFERENT FLUIDS AND WILL IT DAMAGE ANYTHING?
HOPE SOMEONE CAN HELP
JULIAN

newjcb123uk

Re: Hydrolic oil milky white

Post #2 by newjcb123uk » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:20 pm

Hi Julian it usually means there is water in your system which isn't good long-term for the system and pump - A full hydraulic tank drain with all digger functions stretched out on the ground (safety first) and also an essential hydraulic oil filter change will get rid of most of the milky stuff. Fill with brand new hydraulic oil. If the hydraulic oil is foamy and white it means that there is air getting drawn into the system (usually signs of leaking rubber tank pipes etc) It's important you make sure there is no way water can enter the system like making sure the lid to the hydraulic tank is closed and secure at all times. Hope this helps. :thumbup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"A man reaps what he sows"

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #3 by FOWLER MAN » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:33 pm

Hello Jess,
It sounds as though your machine had accumalated some water in the bottom of the hydraulic reservoir. This could be from condensation in the reservoir over a period of time specialy if the machine 's been standing.
After a days use the water and oil will have mixed and emmulsified giving the oil a milky appearance.
I suspect you will need to renew the oil. Filters should be changed too.
Alternatively if the hydraulics are noisy and the oil is foaming,(full of air bubbles) cavitation could be the problem. this may be due to the system drawing in air,possibly at the pump, or may be simply because the suction filter is blocked.
It shouldn't have done any harm, but it may do if left.
By the way, I had a Ford 550 in lieu of payment in the 1980's and ran it for a while it was a great little digger.
Good luck.
Fred

Topic author
jess

Post #4 by jess » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:43 pm

cheers Fred and Christopher
Thanks for the speedy reply
So can i just drain the ressevoir and change the filter?ill check for leaks,where is the suction filter? Is it ok to mix clear and red oils together? The machines pretty quiet on the hydrolics and reasnably smooth for an old one.
Allso does anyone know were i can get a manual for it ?
Cheers julian

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #5 by FOWLER MAN » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:00 pm

Hi Jess,
I cant remember Where the suction filter is but if you follow the pipe back from the inlet of the hydraulic pump to the reservoir it will be at the res. end of the pipe, possibly in the reservoir itself access possibly through a plate.
Someone here may tell you exactly.
Dont mix the red fluid with hydraulic oil.
Fred

martyn williams

Post #6 by martyn williams » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:43 pm

Its in the hydraulic tank top if I remember right,a long time ago since I last worked on one,about 1983 :lol: Great machine.There is a cooler behind the front grill,these usually got blocked up,a good steam clean will do it good.Another thing to look at is the hydraulic pump drive shaft,check U J's on the shaft for wear.If this shafts U J's go,it will smash the radiator.I may have spares for the shaft .Check your fan belt as well the pump shaft has to be slipped back to change the belt on a 550.
Martyn

Topic author
jess

Post #7 by jess » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:32 pm

Thanks evryone for all your help,ill do as instructed and report back.
Thanks again
Julian

Return to “Tech Talk”