Challenger project

Are you working on a certain project? Renovating an old machine?
Tell us about it here and show us the progress.

martyn williams

Re: Challenger project

Post #21 by martyn williams » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:00 pm

She's taking shape Fred :thumbup:
Hope to pop up soon,still trying to sort a starter for the TD6 :dizzy:
Martyn

Topic author
FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #22 by FOWLER MAN » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:53 pm

Hello
Challenger up and running, I had the injectors serviced but shes still a bit smokey, probably needs a run for the rings to bed in.
We're sand blasting and rubbing down prepairing for primer now. Just using some primer I had on the shelf for the first coat.
You can see some of the original Fowler Orange in some of the photos, I have'nt got the new paint yet.
I have to make new battery boxes, the original ones are corroded beyond repair. They fell apart, see photo.
Fred
006.JPG
007.JPG
010.JPG
009.JPG
005 (2).JPG
003 (2).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

martyn williams

Post #23 by martyn williams » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:59 am

Progressing great Fred :thumbup: ,would love to come up to see it.I will be able to come up week after next. Another week of nights next week to do :dizzy:
Martyn

marshallmp6

Post #24 by marshallmp6 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:57 am

Good to see the 33 getting a bit of TLC Fred! I have never seen one in Australia ...... according to Marshalls records there were two shipped out to West Australia in the late 1950s but I have never heard anything of them. I don't expect to ever own one either but I do have 2 Challenger 1s; 2 Challenger 3s and 1 Challenger 4 to rebuild so I have my hands rather full as it is. Records indicate that no Challenger 2/22s came to Australia but there is a rumour that a 2 was imported privately but extensive enquiries continue to reveal nothing. Also have some VFs and Field Marshalls. cheers Don.

BulldozerD11

Post #25 by BulldozerD11 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:53 am

marshallmp6 wrote:Good to see the 33 getting a bit of TLC Fred! I have never seen one in Australia ...... according to Marshalls records there were two shipped out to West Australia in the late 1950s but I have never heard anything of them. I don't expect to ever own one either but I do have 2 Challenger 1s; 2 Challenger 3s and 1 Challenger 4 to rebuild so I have my hands rather full as it is. Records indicate that no Challenger 2/22s came to Australia but there is a rumour that a 2 was imported privately but extensive enquiries continue to reveal nothing. Also have some VFs and Field Marshalls. cheers Don.

Sounds like you have quite a collection then Don of Marshall/Fowler kit.

There are a few photos of some that i've seen around the UK on here in various threads. (I'll have a look for some more to add)
Interested in Tractors, Plant, Heavy Haulage or Steam visit http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/Tractor_%26_Construction_Plant_Wiki
Help document every manufacturer model build, and record every machine in preservation, clubs and events etc.

martyn williams

Post #26 by martyn williams » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:15 am

Hello Fred
The printers are doing your decals from the details you gave me.Will call them this week to see how they are doing.
See you soon Martyn
PS did you get my message about a workout for the Challenger ?

martyn williams

Post #27 by martyn williams » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:31 pm

Been told your decals are done Fred,will check if they are ok on Thursday
Martyn

Topic author
FOWLER MAN

Post #28 by FOWLER MAN » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:26 am

B100 LOADER wrote:Been told your decals are done Fred,will check if they are ok on Thursday
Martyn

Hi martyn,
Thanks for that, PM me when you've got them and I'll come down.
I did get your message re. workout, that will be great, "thank you", but she wont be ready for a while. Will post some photos of progress soon.

Topic author
FOWLER MAN

Post #29 by FOWLER MAN » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:54 am

marshallmp6 wrote:Good to see the 33 getting a bit of TLC Fred! I have never seen one in Australia ...... according to Marshalls records there were two shipped out to West Australia in the late 1950s but I have never heard anything of them. I don't expect to ever own one either but I do have 2 Challenger 1s; 2 Challenger 3s and 1 Challenger 4 to rebuild so I have my hands rather full as it is. Records indicate that no Challenger 2/22s came to Australia but there is a rumour that a 2 was imported privately but extensive enquiries continue to reveal nothing. Also have some VFs and Field Marshalls. cheers Don.

Hi Don ,
You seem to be heavily into Marshall/Fowler stuff, certainly got your hands full with that lot. I'd love to see some photos. if you have s chance to post them, specialy the Challenger 4. Is it direct start or has it got the donkey(pilot) engine?
You might find this little bit I wrote about the development of the Challengers of interest. I posted it some time ago somewhere here,so I appologise appologise to anyone who's seen it before.
Fred
img102.jpg
img103.jpg
img104.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

marshallmp6

Post #30 by marshallmp6 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:31 am

Some photos for you. :wave:
No1 is Challenger 3 M2 series Ser No 836 Leyland No2 is Challenger Mark III Ser No 583 Leyland
Nos 3,4,5 are Challenger 4 Ser No 125 Meadows
All machines have been sitting around for 10 to 20 years, all motors turn over and the Mark III will run (sort of) but it has a broken track recoil spring. All have hand operated spring clutch, Leyland clutch on the Leyland motors and Borg and Beck on the Meadows. All these machines have planetary final drives but only the Challenger 3 M2 has the pressure lubricated gearbox. They do look a bit "bumpy" but are basically all complete and fairly good machines.

Return to “Projects”