Allen Crane

Discuss cranes here

Topic author
JCBJONES

Allen Crane

Post #1 by JCBJONES » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:17 pm

I am restoring a ALLEN crane of the 1960's anybody got any informatoin or pictures.

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Re: Allen Crane

Post #2 by FOWLER MAN » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:33 pm

Hello Jeff,
What model is your Allen, a T6 or a T10? Has it got the Gardner engines? Have you any photos?
Some early ones were marketed as Allen Michigan.
Heres the only photo I have of one.
Fred
Allen T10.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

namyar

Post #3 by namyar » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:55 am

The T6 was a single drive with rigid axle and a shocker on the road, some powered by 5LW Gardner and some by 4AJ Dorman. They were Michigan built under license by Allen. We had several in New Zealand ex WW2 and in service into the 80's. Only parts regularly replaced were the clutch diaphrams which were an airbrake pan. A nice unit to operate, quiet with no engine in there.

Topic author
JCBJONES

Post #4 by JCBJONES » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:19 pm

According to spec sheet i have its a K 52 with a Leyland 350 engine on a 4 wheel chassis.trying to post some pictures can not workout how to yet will keep trying.

Kato808

Post #5 by Kato808 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:04 pm

I have a broacher on the K52 John Allen mobile crane, With the accessors can be used as a Shovel, Crane, Dragline, Trench Hoe and Skimmer.
You try and find a modern British made machine that will do all that! The closes I can think of, Is a wheel barrow.
I'll add some photos soon.

Topic author
JCBJONES

Post #6 by JCBJONES » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:08 pm

Some pictures of ALLEN CRANE
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
JCBJONES

Post #7 by JCBJONES » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:20 pm

Kato808 wrote:I have a broacher on the K52 John Allen mobile crane, With the accessors can be used as a Shovel, Crane, Dragline, Trench Hoe and Skimmer.
You try and find a modern British made machine that will do all that! The closes I can think of, Is a wheel barrow.
I'll add some photos soon.

ADDED some pictures for you to look at Jeff in dyserth

Topic author
JCBJONES

Post #8 by JCBJONES » Sat May 24, 2014 6:58 pm

First run of crane after restoring it a bit smokey on the way out not to bad coming in.video on youtupe can't get over to forum.

brian crowther

Post #9 by brian crowther » Sun May 25, 2014 11:03 pm

I worked for Thomas W Ward in the the early 60s at Titan works in Grays Essex as a fitters mate. a fitter and I
had the job of converting a 2 axle t6 from from faceshovel to crane. I do not know how old the machine was or
where it came from, all i can remember that is was a trade for a Smiths excavator.this t6machine had a Gardner
in,it and no front cab.We converted and tested it in about 4 weeks the crane was a pig to operate as it had no swing
brake, all it had was a dog that engaged into the slew ring teeth and if you tried to engage it even if the crane was
slewing slightly it would nearly break your ankle, also the slewing was quite fierce. I took out on the road for a
test and with the rear axle bolted the the chassis the ride was diabolical, It was supposed to go in Wards hire fleet
and I was going to have job operating it but has luck would have it it was sold to Carty Plant in Wickford Essex.
B Crowther.

Return to “Cranes”