Using Dozers And A Chain For Clearing.

Discuss dozers here

Topic author
Deas Plant

Re: Using Dozers And A Chain For Clearing.

Post #51 by Deas Plant » Sun May 03, 2009 3:07 pm

Hi, Modelman093.
Thanks for the information and the additional photos. That bloke sure does do good work.
You have a wonderful day. Best wishes. Deas Plant.

DaveS

Post #52 by DaveS » Thu May 14, 2009 6:09 pm

Frome the Dave.S. archives!

Check the date ;)

Dave.S.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
Deas Plant

Post #53 by Deas Plant » Sun May 17, 2009 4:41 am

Hi, DaveS.
Thanks for sharing. It's not hard to tell that that is an artist's representation of chaining. If those two dozers continue on their current paths without backing off, they are going to doing a pull-off shortly with the ball in the middle I personally have never used either cables or logging winches for chaining but I understand that cables were sometimes used between steam traction engines back in the early days of last century. There are even some photos of it in the West Australian State Library - which I can't find at the moment.

John Gaunt
Flag: Great Britain

Post #54 by John Gaunt » Sun May 17, 2009 7:31 pm

modelman093 wrote:
To the best of my knowledge - which is not encyclopedic - nobody has ever 'Siamesed' any D9's. (Or, if they did, they certainly didn't ask my permission. LOL.) I suspect that you might be referring to the Dual D9's and/or the 'side-by-side D9's, both of which were designed and built by Buster Peterson, not by Holts.

Spot on! It was "Twin D8s" not 9s, built by Buster Peterson- two tractors joined side by side with the inner tracks removed. Also available in high clearance guise and fitted with Holt funnel dozer and root "plow". The side-by-side D9 arrangement retained all four tracks.
If no one (moderators please comment) is worried about copyright issues I will post a photo from the Caterpillar Picture Gallery - PA LeTourneau, Iconografix, ISBN 1-882256-70-0
Angus

I/m curious now, I can see how you put two D8s side by side, removing the inner tracks, but what did you do with the inner final drives, steering clutches etc.?

DaveS

Post #55 by DaveS » Sun May 17, 2009 9:32 pm

Deas Plant wrote:Hi, DaveS.
Thanks for sharing. It's not hard to tell that that is an artist's representation of chaining. If those two dozers continue on their current paths without backing off, they are going to doing a pull-off shortly with the ball in the middle I personally have never used either cables or logging winches for chaining but I understand that cables were sometimes used between steam traction engines back in the early days of last century. There are even some photos of it in the West Australian State Library - which I can't find at the moment.

Hi Deas,

The article in the magazine goes into some detail of how they worked on the Hungry Horse dam job, but unfortunately the spine of the magazine is too fragile (it is nearly 60 years old!! :shock: ) to flatten on the scanner.

Among other details it describes using huge swivels to stop the cables twisting as the ball rolls.

The acreage they cleared over several years was incredible!

I'll maybe try photographing the pages and posting pics large enough so that the text can be read.

Dave.S.

d4c24a

Post #56 by d4c24a » Sun May 17, 2009 10:02 pm

some pictures from the net :thumbs_up:
http://www.italianlives.arts.uwa.edu.au ... _ballchain
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
knowing less and less about more and more until pretty soon i will know almost nothing about practically everything

Topic author
Deas Plant

Re: 'Siamesing' D8's

Post #57 by Deas Plant » Tue May 19, 2009 2:38 pm

Hi, John Gaunt.
Not hard, M8. If you take the final drive housings off the two inner sides and cut the pinions off the ends of the shafts from the steering clutches, you have two flat surfaces, to which you can bolt flat cover plates, complete with gaskets, etc.. Seal up the dead axle tubes and you've pretty much sealed that compartment off. Drive is not an issue 'cos there's no differential, just a crown wheel and pinion on a solid shaft with a steering clutch and brake on each end of it. You aren't going to be using the adjoining steering clutches and brakes, so you only need controls for the ones on each outside track. I would imagine that the inner ones would simply be left in place, unused.

Alternatively, you could take the whole steering clutch and brake arrangement out of the two adjoining sides, unbolting the steering clutch case from the end of the crown wheel shaft and simply leaving that compartment empty. You would still need to seal it off from invasion by dirt and dust but that's not all that hard.

Hi, DaveS.
A 1/2-way reasonable digital camera should do that pretty well, something up around the 7 to 10 megapixel range. They should produce photos that will cover way more than a normal computer screen. You will still ned to get the page fairly flat but not as flat as for a scanner.

The swivels on each side of the ball were standard practice. I have a couple of fairly good photos of these swivels on my main PC - - - which, unfortnately, is currently in the recovery ward. Maybe later.

John Gaunt
Flag: Great Britain

Post #58 by John Gaunt » Tue May 19, 2009 4:04 pm

Gidday Deas,
Yep you're right, looks fairly simple.
All the power would go through one final drive rather than two, but I guess Caterpillar (over) engineering of the time would have taken care of that.
Wouldn't be possible (or at least not so easily) with the controlled differential steering system the modern cats have.

Thanks for the explanation M8

Topic author
Deas Plant

Post #59 by Deas Plant » Wed May 20, 2009 9:55 am

Hi, John Gaunt.
I seem to remember that the equaliser bar was left out too, that the arrangement was non-oscillating like the track loaders of days gone by.

The first two that Peterson built were normal clearance but the 3rd and last one was a high-clearance version, designed and built to work with a Holt Funnel dozer and rear root plow, both cable controlled.

'Buster Peterson actually 'siamesed' a couple of Allis Chalmers HD19's as a test unit before he did the first siamese D8's. I guess he didn't want to waste two perfectly good Cat machines if it didn't work. LOL. I have a sneaking suspicion that those siamesed HD19's may have gone to the Hungry Horse dam project. I have seen photos of siamesed HD19's supposedly taken at Hungry Horse.

RyanC

Post #60 by RyanC » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:33 pm

Hi All, Ive just found this site, I'm doing a plan on an estate in Zambia where we'll need to clear a huge amount of land, around 30 000ha, as cheaply and quickly as possible, and chaining seems to be the way to go. Its getting hard to find anyone who knows anything about Chaining these days. They cleared huge area when Kariba Dam was built, but since then there hasnt been much in this part of the world.

We'll be using mostly 80 ha pivots, so will need to clear 80 ha circles, just over 800m diameter. in some areas the pivots will be nested, so we'll have to do long runs, but on the 80 ha areas, will chaining be the way to go?
The bush is called miombo woodland, its fairly dense trees, with light ground cover, probably as hard to clear as gum forest.
In some areas the locals have used the land for slash and burn agric. They cut the trees off about a meter from the ground, which then regrows. The root systems are pretty big, but we wont have the weight of the tree to help pull it over.
This is going to be quite a challenge! The pic attached is fairly typical, but in some areas the trees are a lot bigger

Any more advice on how to go about this will be gratefully read!

Cheers
Ryan

Return to “Dozers”