Post #1 by martyn williams » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:30 pm

Click on this link to listen to V12 two stroke,
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=RH709Zam4uY 3200 horses,turn up your speakers

John Gaunt
Flag: Great Britain

Re: EWS CLASS 66 ENGINE ROOM

Post #2 by John Gaunt » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:21 am

Thanks for the post Martyn.
I recall as a teenager going to the then BR on a weeks "work familiarisation".
We toured the Doncaster workshops and saw all manner of engineering work going on, but for me the highlight was travelling from Doncaster to London on the 'diesel engine'.
I don't recall the model, but this would have been late 60's. We were in the rear facing cab, and were invited one at a time to move to the front cab and see the driver at work. My turn came when we were more or less flat out on the East coast main line, and I recall squeezing along this passage with the cylinder head of the engine inches from my face. Quite an experience for a young lad !...just pleased none of the con rods broke !

John.

Topic author
martyn williams

Re: EWS CLASS 66 ENGINE ROOM

Post #3 by martyn williams » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:43 pm

Hello John
When I first moved to Devon I was asked by the manager of the South Devon Railway to look after a preserved diesel hydraulic locomotive.I rode it every Saturday during the Summer of 1981.We used to sit in the trailing cab.This loco pulled the Devon Belle observation coach which was used for weddings etc.On the afternoon trip the coach was occupied by a young couple who had got married a couple of hours earlier.As we progressed on the trip to Kingswear this couple got VERY passionate.We could look down into the coach and they could not see us.We tooted the horn before they got too far.They were very red faced when we spoke to them in Kingswear.

Return to “Off Topic”