Hewco scraper working.

Discuss haulers/dump trucks here

Topic author
dozeron

Hewco scraper working.

Post #1 by dozeron » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:58 pm

Hope these come out OK. They show the scraper at work on a land development for a new housing estate. One shot shows the push plate on the back of the scraper. A D4 7U assisted in loading on some occasions.
Dozeron.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RDG

Re: Hewco scraper working.

Post #2 by RDG » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:32 am

I remember those when I was a kid, two Fordson Major tractors, back 2 back with about a 6yd bowl between them, built by Huntly Engineering & Welding Co, hence the name HEWCO.

Topic author
dozeron

Post #3 by dozeron » Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:48 am

Hi Ross,
Where in NZ are you from? Im now living in Brisbane but moved to Sunshine Coast from Waihi Beach in 96. Was born in the Waikato and can well remember the Hewco Twin 6s. Got to know Jock Wight, the guy who designed the scrapers etc. I was able to put his old 8mm films onto Video for him and he allowed me to do an article on Hewco for the former French mag 4M. Still trying to gather info on the scraper range.
Regards, Ron,(dozeron).

IBH

Post #4 by IBH » Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:40 am

I havent heard of Hewco before, could someone please enlighten me to their history and products?

Topic author
dozeron

Post #5 by dozeron » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:13 am

Hi IBH,
I am not an authority on Hewco but I got to know the guy who owned the company and designed the various construction plant items the company manufactured. He allowed me to go through his notes and do an article for the French Mag, 2M & 4M. I also put all his old 8mm films on video for him. I seem to recall he actually built about 20 Twin-Six motor-scrapers before they were forced off the market by the Euclid S-7 scraper in New Zealand. Sadly another name that has disappeared from the scene.
Regards, dozeron (Ron)

rayman

Post #6 by rayman » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:30 am

Hi Dozeron , its a small small world we live in. I had a drive on one of those machines at a small coal mine at Whata Whata and here we are 50 something years later. The first of them used a pair of 60 hp engines but too weak then the 90 hp Thames Trader 6D engines were fitted. A pair of Brockhouse torque converters on each engine and the rear crown wheel turned over.They had no brakes until the "super Major" with disc brakes became available. Engine controls were hydraulic which made for slow shifts or you would be caught with the front engine in a different notch to the rear.The steering was very jerky but the bowl worked good.The same machine was built here by "Britstand" Melbourne. I had pics of one in a machinery yard here in Gympie about 5 years ago but dont know where it went.It only had the Super-Major" engines in each end. and controls were electric servo units.
Thanks for the memories.

Return to “Haulers/Dump Trucks”