Massey 35x - a few questions

Discuss tractors here

Topic author
rowehillmaster
Flag: Great Britain

Massey 35x - a few questions

Post #1 by rowehillmaster » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:58 am

Following my early retirement :D (yipeee !) I have started volunteering at a care farm local to me two days a week http://www.becksidecarefarm.co.uk/ - my wife said I should get out a bit more but added, you're not going just to play tractors are you ? - the first thing they said on my first day was "with your engineering back ground do you think you could get the old tractor going, and make it usable" - life could not get better ! -

They have this 1963 (or is it ?) MF35x - it has buckets, front and rear forks, a topper and a bailer - plenty for me to work on, maintain and restore hopefully getting some of the day visitors a new activity to observe and help with in a controlled manner with their carers help.

It had sat for a good while,(3 years ?) but in a barn, covered with horse blankets - I checked all the fluids, went around did the grease points, bled the filters and pump, hooked up the battery from my Land Rover and it started right up - the front loader was resting on a cross brace in the barn but did not drop any further when I backed it out, but descended slowly when I moved the control (a single stick), I had to lift the rear hitch all the way to get the front loader to raise, but did not like the noise when it's lever was all the way up (mechanical rubbing) backed off a bit, to stop the noise, but not too much - difficult to do, the front loader still worked - can any one easily say what is out of adjustment or needs looking at ?

essexpete

Re: Massey 35x - a few questions

Post #2 by essexpete » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:58 am

That is the most collectable of the 35s although I guess a private collector would take of the Lambourn safety cab and find a set of round mudguards.
Is there multi power fitted (short stubby lever on dash)?
Years since I have used a MF but I think with that set up it will be normal for the lift arms to rises and fall with the loader. Some used a form of pick up hitch or a weight block with a locking device to keep the lift arms in the raised position. I never used that set up much as the 165 with loader that I used had separate spool valves. The only time I used similar to yours I found keeping the loader in one place a bit fiddly. I think the MF can knock when the hydraulics get to the end of a stroke. If no one can really answer here you ask on the farming forum. BTW do you know about the 2 stage clutch?

Topic author
rowehillmaster

Post #3 by rowehillmaster » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:43 pm

Yes it has the two stage clutch, but no multi power, but it does have the diff lock - I need to do further investigation as it has an alternator, wonder if it is a later motor ? - but still appears to have early type CAV injector pump.

It does have a single separate valve for the front loader, but it only lifts when the 3 point is at the top of its stroke, that must block off some type of bypass, but go to high and it clatters, I think the clatter subsides whilst it is lifting the front loader.

Thanks for replying, will look at joining a Massey forum.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #4 by Jeremy Rowland » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:50 pm

Well done Andy :claphands: doing the odd day working on my machines and perhaps volunteering to work on the restoration of the Hatherton and Lichfield canals a couple of days a week is my idea of retirement, not sat around on my bum all day. :thumbup: So well done to you for doing this work, top man.

Jeremy

kaos
Flag: Iceland

Post #5 by kaos » Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:04 pm

When I was a kid we had an old grey diesel Fergie on the farm. From the sound if it, that used the same hydraulic arrangement. For front loader work a couple of links were fitted between the top of the 3-point hitch to the lifting arms, so that they were fixed in a mid position. The front loader was then controlled by moving the control lever up or down past the midpoint. A simple ball valve blocked off the front loader cylinders when the 3-point hitch was to be used.

--
Kári.

Slooby

Post #6 by Slooby » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:53 pm

essexpete wrote:BTW do you know about the 2 stage clutch?

Ehh? Please elaborate! I've not been aware of anything different about the clutch operation on our MF65...
CMN Stuff: MF65, Thwaites Nimline, JCB 3CX
Projects: S11a 88" V8 Hybrid, 2 x S111 109"s, Mk11 Mini, Harrison L5A :doh:
Ish projects: T25 Camper, ST675R
Just added: Alpine S5 & Bridgeport Mk2 :wtf:
Sorely Missed: Impreza, E39 M5

essexpete

Post #7 by essexpete » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:11 pm

Two stage clutch. Drive to gearbox on first part of foot travel and pto the second part of travel (pushed right down).

hair bear

Post #8 by hair bear » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:17 am

Oh dear. That's going to give you lots of problems. Best you park it up until I can come and take it away.
Seriously though, nice little set up. You should have 2 levers, one with a round top and one with a square top. The round one is position control and does what it says - it controls the height of the link arms for non contact implements. The square one is draught control for ground contact equipment and controls the depth of a plough for example via the active top link.
If you look at the quadrant marking for the position control right at the top it is marked 'constant pumping'. This is for external services like a loader or tipping trailer. It's a fairly basic system that keeps the entire system under constant pressure so when you pull the lever back it lifts the links, when they hit the top it lifts the loader and when that stops it tips the trailer. there should be a tap somewhere so you can lock the loader off so you can use the links or trailer. I suspect the strange noise is the pressure relief valve when the lever is at the top of the quad and the arms and loader have topped out.
Normally these would have a dynamo/regulator box set up and be positive earth.
Hope that helps.
If a LandRover doesn't leak oil, it's run out.

Slooby

Post #9 by Slooby » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:27 am

essexpete wrote:Two stage clutch. Drive to gearbox on first part of foot travel and pto the second part of travel (pushed right down).

That explains a lot, it never even crossed my mind that the gearbox and pto drives were separated (as it were) like that, cheers Pete
CMN Stuff: MF65, Thwaites Nimline, JCB 3CX
Projects: S11a 88" V8 Hybrid, 2 x S111 109"s, Mk11 Mini, Harrison L5A :doh:
Ish projects: T25 Camper, ST675R
Just added: Alpine S5 & Bridgeport Mk2 :wtf:
Sorely Missed: Impreza, E39 M5

hair bear

Post #10 by hair bear » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:10 pm

Should've added the 'X' denotes diff lock. That looks quite a long reach on the loader. As it's a trip bucket you can pull 4 pins and drop the loader for field work. Makes turning a lot easier, although retrofitting a power steering kit is quite straight forward. Keep an eye on wheel bearings, king pins, pivot pin and steering joints. These do suffer on loader work.
35X with multipower? Had one - lairy creature. With 12.4/11 rear tyres it could easy cruise towards 30mph if you had the nerve and some string to keep your hat on. Stopping it with 90% water ballast on board was a different matter!
If a LandRover doesn't leak oil, it's run out.

Return to “Tractors”