Poclain 75 CKB

Discuss excavators here

mechman
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Poclain 75 CKB

Post #81 by mechman » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:46 pm

Jeremy.
It's looking good, is there much mechanical work to do on it?
Norm. :thumbup:

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #82 by Jeremy Rowland » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:24 pm

essexpete wrote:Getting there Jeremy. How far from home are the diggers?

Hi Pete, the machines are about 137 miles from home, last Thursday was a long day, up at 4:15am, on the road an hour later, start work around 7:50am, late finish at 7:03pm back in the house by 9:50pm.

Jeremy

essexpete

Post #83 by essexpete » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:44 pm

Dedication Jeremy!

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #84 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:19 pm

Well sometimes the best plans don't go according to plan; and yesterday I had planned on getting more of the painting done on this machine, however a snag with Andrews compressor prevented me from progressing much further.
I ended up working on the Hymac for the first part of the day but still managed to get a bit more of the Poclain rubbed down and primer applied, this will be no 'Tony Flint' or 'Julian Carder' restoration, she will still have her 'battle scars' from her former years of work, but hopefully when she is done then I'm hoping that I will have made a reasonable effort.

Jeremy

essexpete

Post #85 by essexpete » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:17 am

The Poclain would make a very nice farm machine, especially if it could sneak undercover when not in use.

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #86 by Jeremy Rowland » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:24 pm

essexpete wrote:The Poclain would make a very nice farm machine, especially if it could sneak undercover when not in use.

Pete when she is finished I intend to cover the cab and engine panels with tarp sheets.

Jeremy

AJ.

Post #87 by AJ. » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:09 am

I was involved with Poclain equipment from the start to the ruination by Case,I did have till recently all the tooling to service the pumps on the older models that had piston /valve type pumps,one of the main issues with all Poclain equipment was oil leaks from the valve banks caused by the o'rings between the sections moving and wearing due to the way the o'rings were set,they did not have a groove just a flat machined recess allowing the o'ring to move from the pulsating of the oil,they wear and leak,there was a modification near the end of the run,all in all Poclain were good machines,like everything they had a few down sides like bad or zero heating,poor starting with the 4 cylinder 12v ones the old TCS and esp the ones with the Agrom engine,converted them to 24v to solve the issue,another issue was the slew motor coming loose,the bolts need keeping an eye on that they are tight, happy digging.
AJ

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #88 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:40 pm

Well last weeks visit was in vain as the weather threw it down with rain for most of the day so with the exception of running the Hymac up and testing the new track drive hoses for any leaks I could get nothing done on the Poclain. Fortunately today's weather turned out to be great so I got as much of the painting done as possible.

I use an angle grinder to get down to the bare metal especially where rust needs removing as it's false economy to paint over rust, this old girl has had some clumps of filler put in dents in the bodywork, while I am not too fussed about the machine looking like its just rolled off the production line I did have to hammer out some of this filler to get to the rust underneath, this is on the machines offside which I still have to paint properly so I've just done a temporary bodge until I can get back up there and tackle it to my own satisfaction.

Sadly I can't say that I am a decent paint sprayer or very good with the body filler but as Phil Peacock pointed out "you're painting a digger not a car or a motorcycle" so perfection is not the name of the game, anyway I was happy with most of what I managed to get done.

Jeremy

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #89 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:47 pm

mechman wrote:Jeremy.
It's looking good, is there much mechanical work to do on it?
Norm. :thumbup:

Hi Norm I appear to have missed this post :oops: No I think that most of the mechanical work on this one is done, there are only two issues that I want to look at, one is that sometimes the starter motor spins on the flywheel ring gear and does not engage, after a couple of attempts she will start okay and the other issue is the fan cooling belt which the engine has thrown on two occasions now, apart from that she is mechanically sound. :thumbup:

Jeremy

AJ.

Post #90 by AJ. » Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:00 pm

The starter not engaging is usually caused by the clutch in the Bendix drive slipping,very common fault with the Bosch starter,I used to carry a spare Bendix to save time taking the starter to the repair shop,the cooling belt coming off is a serious issue,the engine must not be run without the belt as the cooling fan will not be working and the engine will over heat and seize up fairly quick,check why that is happening see the jockey wheel is not slopping about and the fan bearings are good,the jockey wheel has a warning switch that should be working to alert the operator if the belt fails,on the engine side of the fan there is a cover held on with two over centre clips,that cover needs to be removed and the cylinder barrels and heads blown out to get rid of any debris/dust in there that could impede the cooling,one cannot put enough empathises on the cooling of those engines which its often overlooked it, you have smartened it up real nice well done .
AJ

Return to “Excavators”