carnage 3ciii

Are you working on a certain project? Renovating an old machine?
Tell us about it here and show us the progress.

Jeremy Rowland

Re: carnage 3ciii

Post #61 by Jeremy Rowland » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:04 pm

Getting there so all good progress. :claphands:

Jeremy

Topic author
MrF
Flag: France

Post #62 by MrF » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:00 pm

Not great progress again I'm afraid.
Done some more tests, comparing cylinders 3 & 4, and both had liner protrusion right in the middle of the spec and even all round, I used a depth mic and a clock gauge so fairly sure of my measurements.
Put the head back on, cranked it without fuel, exhaust full of water so stopped before it did damage. Took head off, checked it for flatness again against a scraping master I have and its within a thousandth of a inch over the length but noticed head gasket was upside down and the instructions with the gasket say it has a way up from the stamping pattern to match the liner lip seal (doh).
Reused gasket, but right way up, and left exhaust manifold off, and its wet on cylinder 4 exhaust port only (nearest bellhousing), so not the cylinder with the new liner/piston. I cranked it a bit more then dampness led to water spraying out at which point I stopped before it did more damage.

So, to the post mortem either I screwed the gasket up putting it in the wrong way round and reusing or #4 has a existing water ingress problem too despite having good numbers on the compression test that I didnt know about. I could have screwed up inserting the injector sleeve and its leaking, or maybe it has had a porus liner all along.

I'll order yet another head gasket because whatever is going to involve pulling the head again but has anyone got any ideas on how to check the injector liners for leakage into the cylinder?

Jeremy Rowland

Post #63 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:43 pm

Hi Phil sorry to hear about your continuing problems; my first step would be to get the head pressure tested to check that any cooling water is not passing an injector sleeve, then you can eliminate the cylinder head from the equation.

You should be able to find an engine re-conditioner who would be able to test the head; I have tested Cummins NH/NT heads in the past by using a cut out rubber seal along with a steel plate with holes cut in it to enable you to bolt the rubber seal to seal the bottom of the heads water jacket just leaving the injector sleeve area exposed, then fill with water and a seal any top parts of the head with suitable plate adaptors and rubber, one with and air valve. You simple apply a small amount of compressed air to pressurise the head and any leaks will quickly become apparent.

While I have no experience of this type of engine my own feeling would be that the issue lies with a leaking injector sleeve and not a liner or head gasket issue, as I say if you get the head pressure tested at least you can rule that one out if its okay, if not you have located your problem.

Jeremy

Topic author
MrF
Flag: France

Post #64 by MrF » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:25 pm

Finding a engine reconditioner locally would be a feat, finding one that speaks leyland over here makes that even more difficult I'm afraid.
But what you describe is doable with what resources I have to hand and fits my stubborn fool mindset, so I'll give it my best shot "in house" (well in my shed anyway).

Return to “Projects”