Field Marshall Series 1

Discuss tractors here

Topic author
RUSTY_RELICS
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Field Marshall Series 1

Post #21 by RUSTY_RELICS » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:15 pm

Hi all,
Tonight I sorted out the mud hatch which bolts on the side of the block. I took it off to flush all the rust and crud out of the water jacket. Also some clever person has cross threaded the drain hole with an old bolt. So it's gone from 3/8"bsp to 1/2"bsp. When the original hole was drilled it wasn't central. So with the use of a 2 flute cutter or slot drill which ever you prefer ..... I managed to pull the hole more central on the bridgeport mill. Another little job off to do list.
Thanks,
Carl Hargreaves

Jeremy Rowland

Post #22 by Jeremy Rowland » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:49 am

Yes Carl that does look like a bit of old screw driver blade somebody has been 'a bodging' by the look; what are you going to use, a scroll pin or a bit of silver steel?

Jeremy

Topic author
RUSTY_RELICS

Post #23 by RUSTY_RELICS » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:18 pm

Jeremy,
I used a small black allen bolt with a nyloc nut. They are made of tough stuff.

Today I sent my dad to the bearing shop and got all the bearings for the gouvnor. We bought enough to do 3 tractors. My dad's series 2 is still in a million bits, and the gouvnor thimble bearing on my VF Crawler has fallen out so it won't tick over anything less than 1/4 revs and she stops. I found it when I was changing the oil. Here is the series 1 gouvnor with all new bearings. I've been on the phone to Crawford's for the gaskets and seals. So I'm waiting on the postman now ...

Thanks,
Carl Hargreaves

Topic author
RUSTY_RELICS

Post #24 by RUSTY_RELICS » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:37 pm

Hi all,

I've been busy at work the last couple of weeks so not had much time to work on the series 1. This weekend I had a burst of enthusiasm to put the Marshall back together. Here are the pictures of the rebuild. I have flushed out the water jacket with the steam cleaner, the block was full of rust and crud. I just need to fitt the mud hatch, back to the block and it can be filled with antifreeze.
I had to remove the backwheel to fit the flywheel, it came off with the wheel still on and it squeezed past the tyre.
I am not far off the 1st start up after the rebuild.
here are a few pictures of what I've achieved this weekend.
Thanks,
Carl Hargreaves

Topic author
RUSTY_RELICS

Post #25 by RUSTY_RELICS » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:49 pm

Hi all,
Well here is the video of the old Series 1 back running. This is the 2nd short run since the rebuild. I have allowed the engine to run at a brisk tick over while everything beds in.
I need to sort the throttle leaver out, she shakes the throttle off to the stop position. Now I know why I've seen them on the rally fields with bits of wood wedged in the throttle leaver quadrant.
Anyway all seems to be o.k up to now, the new felt cover seal weeped a little until it swelled up but it is fine now. This tractor has had everything bar a rebore on the cylinder block (it's still within tolerance) but it runs good enough for what I'm doing. These Marshalls are really quite simple once you understand the idea of them. They are more a case of "a fear of the unknown"
Naming No Names, a local retired farmer has a series 2, he bought on a whim and he is "Frightend to death of the thing'' (by his own admission) because he doesn't understand the principle of the oil system / starting procedure, especially cartridge starting & crank case scavenge.

I hope people in the future will come across this thread, as a reference as to give them an insight as to what's involved with rebuilding these old Field Marshall tractors.

Thanks
Carl Hargreaves

Topic author
RUSTY_RELICS

Post #26 by RUSTY_RELICS » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:22 am

here is a video clip of yesterdays activity, I cleaned the fuel tank out and fitted a new fuel tap. Also couple of series 1 related pictures I came across
Thanks,
Carl Hargreaves

Topic author
RUSTY_RELICS

Post #27 by RUSTY_RELICS » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:18 pm

Hi all,
I have downloaded a free app, to put the pictures of the rebuild into a little slide show.
It's not the best but here it is ...
I might do one on my David Brown Trackmaster engine rebuild over in the Dozer section of this forum, and see how it turns out ??

Thanks,
Carl Hargreaves

shane.c

Post #28 by shane.c » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:32 pm

:thumbup: Great job

Topic author
RUSTY_RELICS

Post #29 by RUSTY_RELICS » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:19 pm

Hi All,

A little off topic, but as mentioned in post #16 we held a charity open evening at our farm, It is featured in the February 2020 issue of Classic Plant & Machinery magazine.
I was surprised when the our friend Stephen of the NVTEC. Text to tell me, "Your T6 Crawler is on the front cover" he subscribes and get his copy ahead of it coming out in the shops
At the time of writing this I haven't seen it properly myself, The magazine only comes out tomorrow.
The picture is from the website

Thanks,
Carl Hargreaves

XS650

Post #30 by XS650 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:48 pm

That is some piston !

Craig
Not all those who wander are lost.

Return to “Tractors”