B275, 3pth not going down,

Discuss tractors here

Topic author
Dan The Machinist
Flag: Canada

B275, 3pth not going down,

Post #1 by Dan The Machinist » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:06 pm

Hopefully someone can help me here.

I've got a 1962 B275 with diesel engine and basic hydraulic unit (don't know what to call it but it's the one without the big spring in the back). Last week I changed the brake seals and brake discs in it (quite a big job) and it went pretty good but now my 3pth won't go down with the control lever it goes up no problem. The lever goes down but not the 3pth. Is that normal? I just bought the tractor with a snowblower on the back and it did go down with the snowblower on but once I took it off I never noticed if it did go down with the lever. I think it did but not sure.

One thing I did notice after I had the control valve and the hydraulic unit on the bench side by side, there was a short pin (Ø3/16" x 1/2" long) at the edge of the hydraulic unit in a hole and that hole lined up with a blind hole in the control valve. It made me think that there was a spring missing but I couldn't find one anywhere. I looked everywhere. I even looked in the parts book here and can't find that part. Does anybody know anything about this?

I know that I will have to take the control vale apart since it's now leaking at the control lever pivot point, there's an o'ring there. I'm guessing that I should probably take it all apart and change all the o'rings. What do you think and is it a big job?

I hope I explained myself well.

Thanks
Dan

Jeremy Rowland

Re: B275, 3pth not going down,

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:04 pm

Hi Dan and welcome to the site :wave: there is a wealth of knowledge on here so hopefully someone will be able to pint you in the right direction; Fred Evans (Fowler man) is very experienced in most plant fields he may be able to offer you some guidance.

Jeremy

Topic author
Dan The Machinist

Post #3 by Dan The Machinist » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:39 am

Hi everyone,

I was talking with a mechanic that used to work on this tractor a long time ago and he was telling me that the pin I’m referring to is probably a locating dowel pin and the hole in the hydraulic unit is probably a blind hole also. Can anyone confirm that?

Thanks
Dan

hair bear
Flag: Great Britain

Post #4 by hair bear » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:20 pm

Hi Dan,
It's nearly 40 years since I had much to do with a 275 so memories are somewhat fuzzy, but I think there is a hand wheel under the seat to the rhs of the gearbox marked 'higher - lower'. If the links seem to stop at the same place try going up, then wind the wheel towards lower. Let the arms down and see if the place they stop has moved.
If a LandRover doesn't leak oil, it's run out.

essexpete

Post #5 by essexpete » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:46 am

https://thefarmingforum.co.uk/index.php ... machinery/

Hope this forum does not mind. Let everyone know how you get on.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #6 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:42 am

essexpete wrote:https://thefarmingforum.co.uk/index.php?forums/classic-machinery/

Hope this forum does not mind. Let everyone know how you get on.

That's fine Pete we are here to help each other out. :thumbup: and share our common interests.

Jeremy

Topic author
Dan The Machinist

Post #7 by Dan The Machinist » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:54 pm

hair bear wrote:Hi Dan,
It's nearly 40 years since I had much to do with a 275 so memories are somewhat fuzzy, but I think there is a hand wheel under the seat to the rhs of the gearbox marked 'higher - lower'. If the links seem to stop at the same place try going up, then wind the wheel towards lower. Let the arms down and see if the place they stop has moved.

Ok thanks, I'll check that out.
Dan

Topic author
Dan The Machinist

Post #8 by Dan The Machinist » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:30 am

Good evening everyone,

Well I’ve got good news.

The 3pth goes down under its own weight on this model, I had the lever down and went around back and pushed it down and it went down quite easily.

The pin I was talking about is a locating threaded dowel pin like the mechanic was telling me.

I changed the o-ring at the lever on the control valve and I realized that the last person that took it apart forgot to put the pin back in that prevents the lever from coming out. So once I changed that o-ring I slipped a 1/8” pin in the hole and put everything back together and everything works well.

Thanks everyone.
Dan

Jeremy Rowland

Post #9 by Jeremy Rowland » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:47 am

Dan glad that you have got it sorted out okay :thumbup: sorry that I could not have helped you but I have no experience of these machines.

Jeremy

hair bear
Flag: Great Britain

Post #10 by hair bear » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:02 pm

Well done, now get out there and play!
If a LandRover doesn't leak oil, it's run out.

Return to “Tractors”