LeTourneau L-1400 meets a Honda Element

Discuss wheel loaders here

Topic author
Shovelman

LeTourneau L-1400 meets a Honda Element

Post #1 by Shovelman » Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:30 am

Today I took a chance to go into a mine to see a LeTourneau L-1400 that I happened to see while driving. Much to my surprise; there were no "No Trespassing" signs!? I made my way down the haulroad to the loader. I think I had taken two photos when the mine foreman stopped by to see what I was doing. He refused to take a photo of me in front of the machine, but did give me five minutes to shoot a few photos. Im happy to have seen this machine up close, and maybe in the future I will see it operating.

I have to say Im amazed and awed to be next to 28yd3, 1800HP, and 205 tons of wheel loader. See my follow-up post with photos of just the loader without my "ugly-box".

All the best,

John

Topic author
Shovelman

Re: LeTourneau L-1400 meets a Honda Element

Post #2 by Shovelman » Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:42 am

Photos without the ugly box;

All the best,

John

Nick Drew

Post #3 by Nick Drew » Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:08 pm

:o Wow !!! Lucky you John,

What a beast of a loader!!

Very suprised at how you managed to get into the mine without being stopped :?:

Its a shame the guy wouldnt take a snap of you in front of the loader, what were his reasons for not wanting to??

Niklas Eriksson

Post #4 by Niklas Eriksson » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:03 pm

Very nice photos! And thanks for posting them! LeTourneau makes very nice machines.. I would very much see one IRL!
//Niklas Eriksson

Topic author
Shovelman

Post #5 by Shovelman » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:17 am

Nick,

It was Saturday and they had the loader out on a haul road to do a wheel motor swap-out away from the active mining area. I simply decided I had seen this machine from such a far distance for too long, and drove into the pit. While I was shooting some photos, the foreman drove up and asked what I was doing. I introduced myself and told him. He would not get out of his truck and told me his job was not taking pictures. He then told me I had five minutes to start driving out of the mine and began counting it out to me every fifteen seconds. When he called 30 seconds I got in the Element and left. My personal opinion is that this guy has had so many lectures about liability over the years that he worries about someone wandering onto the site and getting hurt. While that is a very real concern; Im still surprised at his attitude when I was there in my hard-hat, steel-toes, and MSHA certification proudly pinned to my chest. Its a big world and takes all kinds of people I guess.

All the best,

John

P.S.: If his personality had been better, I could have probably photographed their MT-4400s, D11Rs, etc..

Nick Drew

Post #6 by Nick Drew » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:56 pm

Shovelman wrote:Nick,

It was Saturday and they had the loader out on a haul road to do a wheel motor swap-out away from the active mining area. I simply decided I had seen this machine from such a far distance for too long, and drove into the pit. While I was shooting some photos, the foreman drove up and asked what I was doing. I introduced myself and told him. He would not get out of his truck and told me his job was not taking pictures. He then told me I had five minutes to start driving out of the mine and began counting it out to me every fifteen seconds. When he called 30 seconds I got in the Element and left. My personal opinion is that this guy has had so many lectures about liability over the years that he worries about someone wandering onto the site and getting hurt. While that is a very real concern; Im still surprised at his attitude when I was there in my hard-hat, steel-toes, and MSHA certification proudly pinned to my chest. Its a big world and takes all kinds of people I guess.

All the best,

John

P.S.: If his personality had been better, I could have probably photographed their MT-4400s, D11Rs, etc..

Hi John,

Thats a shame !!

Sounds like that guy could be potential admin material for HEF !! :twisted: IMO

Nick :roll:

OAKS8711

Post #7 by OAKS8711 » Fri May 29, 2009 2:42 am

Too bad you just couldn't squish it!!

Return to “Wheel Loaders”