Liebherr tower crane - pictures added

Discuss cranes here

Topic author
BillS

Liebherr tower crane - pictures added

Post #1 by BillS » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:19 pm

Is anyone in the UK likely to be interested in a vintage (1969) Liebherr tracked self erecting tower crane that is in need of restoration, or is the best option to sell it for scrap? Pictures below.

Last edited by BillS on Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jeremy Rowland

Re: Liebherr tower crane

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:25 am

Hi there Bills :wave: that is one big piece of kit which would be a real shame to see it go for scrap, you could also advertise it in the back of Classic Plant & Machinery magazine, you never know somebody may just be interested in this more unusual piece of classic kit. :thumbup:

Jeremy

Topic author
BillS

Re: Liebherr tower crane - pictures added

Post #3 by BillS » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:16 pm

I've just added some pictures of the beast to my original post.

Holger
Site Admin
Flag: Sweden

Post #4 by Holger » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:14 pm

Nice pics Bill!
Some resources:
How-To

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #5 by FOWLER MAN » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:13 pm

Hi Bills,
Thanks for posting. It would be a shame to see that cut up. :(
The Cardiff Plant Group ran a couple of these when I worked for them. They would have been new circa 1968/9. A brilliant bit of kit in their day. :thumbup:
I have no room for the crane. :lol: Though I have found space, (for all these years), to keep a 1 inch drive ratchet out of an the original Leibherr tower crane tool kit which I still have today. :o

The ratchet was designed to have no teeth so that it couldn't jump or slip for safety if working above ground. :?
If anyone is curious how a ratchet works without teeth :?: I will take a pic. and post it for you to see. :thumbup:

Fred

Jeremy Rowland

Post #6 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:58 pm

FOWLER MAN wrote:Hi Bills,
The Cardiff Plant Group ran a couple of these when I worked for them. They would have been new circa 1968/9. A brilliant bit of kit in their day. :thumbup:
I have no room for the crane. :lol: Though I have found space, (for all these years), to keep a 1 inch drive ratchet out of an the original Leibherr tower crane tool kit which I still have today. :o

The ratchet was designed to have no teeth so that it couldn't jump or slip for safety if working above ground. :?
If anyone is curious how a ratchet works without teeth :?: I will take a pic. and post it for you to see. :thumbup:

Fred

Fred that sounds an interesting ratchet to me did it work on a cam? :think:

Jeremy

topkit
Flag: Great Britain

Post #7 by topkit » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:34 pm

Lovely olf self erector there, I hope someone saves it, i have a soft spot for tower cranes as i spent some time on them, i did show this post and the pictures to "the current Mrs B" - she gave me one of her looks that means No David :D Oh well i suppose three diggers are enough for the moment!!

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #8 by FOWLER MAN » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:50 pm

Jeremy Rowland wrote:
FOWLER MAN wrote:Hi Bills,

Fred

Fred that sounds an interesting ratchet to me did it work on a cam? :think:

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,
I did some research on my ratchet. It was made by a German company called "Walter" and though it is 50 years old they are still made today.
The makers refer to it as a "Free Wheel Ratchet" and it works from friction, the one I have is 1 inch drive but they are available with all the usual drive sizes.

The advantages claimed are:-
*stands extremely high loads, much higher than a normal ratchet with toothing;
*practicaly no wear and tear;
*use in narrow spaces (no lost motion).

I have found these claims to be true as my ratchet has been well used and abused.

You can see from the pics. that the outer band contracts when tightening and grips the centre, ( no teeth), friction does the job and the square pushes through to reverse it.

Fred

Jeremy Rowland

Post #9 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:56 pm

Thanks Fred :thumbup: yes Walter tools are still made today I have seen engineering tool holders with their name on them; what a lovely piece of kit :thumbup:

Jeremy

Jeremy Rowland

Post #10 by Jeremy Rowland » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:05 am

I do hope that somebody saves this interesting piece of kit; has anybody got a photo of one of these cranes erected? :thumbup:

Jeremy

Return to “Cranes”