Hymac 580BT 1969

Discuss excavators here

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Re: Hymac 580BT 1969

Post #41 by Jeremy Rowland » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:46 am

Thanks Nick :thumbup: the top soil blade is rare to see on these machines so I may opt to leave it on there although there is a bucket that came with the digger.

Jeremy

antevante

Post #42 by antevante » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:05 pm

Hi Jeremy! Great to se your BT working!

68a

Post #43 by 68a » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:48 pm

I enjoyed your article in classic plant Jeremy

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #44 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:26 pm

68a wrote:I enjoyed your article in classic plant Jeremy

Thanks Nicky :thumbup: I am just learning at this plant restoration malarkey :lol: all good fun but a long way to go yet.

Jeremy

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #45 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:29 pm

I suppose its time I updated this a little; well I have been busy 'beavering away' at the old girl doing bits and pieces, one of the first jobs was replacement of some of the hydraulic hoses which were in a very bad condition I make no excuses for the old machine because this was what I had really anticipated.
Tony Flint came up to the last working event and had a go in the machine and confirmed my suspicions that the hydraulic pump was knackered; he has since done a full rebuild on it for a good price when you consider that the gear sets alone are £150 each and there's three of them, fortunately the housings were within tolerance.
Another job taken on was that of replacing the hydraulic filters which is harder to do than what appears because the outside filter gets all the damp which causes it to corrode on and make removal a difficult task; fortunately I got one of the lads at work to 'knock' me up a 1" square drive socket to fit the square drive on the filter, it still took a scaffold pole and ratchet strap to finally break the seal.
There are lots of other little jobs done on the digger but you would never tell just by looking at it; whatever I have enjoyed the work that I have carried out and am intending to take on some of the bigger jobs that require attention. :thumbup:

Jeremy

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #46 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:03 pm

Okay a quick update here; there is still plenty for me to do on this machine but so far I have really enjoyed all that I have done, I decided to tackle some of the bodywork on the machine, have had a side panel fabricated albeit without the cooling slots in it and a general tidy round. There has been other mechanical work done not seen in these photos and lots more to do; I am intending to tackle the bucket ram next that should be fun, I may also have a small issue with the engine but will have to double check before I jump to the wrong conclusion, the former owner did overfill the engine with oil but this may have increased indicating that there is diesel getting into the oil most likely from the spill off rail which is situated inside the rocker cover? I will sort when I get the time but the bucket ram is next on the list.

Jeremy

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #47 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:28 pm

Okay a bit more here; on one of my visits to the digger I decided that it was time to swap the steel hose connections to the right hand spool which controls the slew; at some time in the machines past somebody had swapped the control over so it was switched with the auxiliary on the right hand stick. I found the pipes and carefully bent them so they would fit back as standard the way that they should be, I had a little play on the machine to test this out and tracked it back to do some more work on it. :D

My pleasure at sorting this problem was short lived when I espied hydraulic oil leaking from the front of the undercarriage; :wtf: realising that a hydraulic hose had blown I peered down into the centre of the machines tub to see exactly what had blown. The leaking hose was quickly located but to my dismay it disappeared through a hole in the rear of the main slew tub :roll: I had to really stop and think about things here as I knew that there was four hoses that come out of the rotary distributor, with two each to the track drive motors, but alas these lines are broken into to take a feed for the hydraulically operated brake cylinder and it was one of these hoses that had blown.

After putting the machine on some blocks to allow better access I quickly removed the plate to the brake that was affected and disconnected the hose from the cylinder, the tub side was duly freed and the blessed hose connector lifted up out of the way to stop the continual leak of hydraulic oil. However when I came to try and remove the hose it would not budge; investigation revealed that at some time in the diggers past the steel hose that routes this hydraulic hose had been dented which was effectively preventing the hose from moving :evil:

The only solution was to use an angle grinder with a slitting disc and to cut the outer steel hose and bend it out of the way; after doing this I wrestled with the hose along with John Herbert who came to give a hand and between us it came out. I got a new hose made up and returned to the digger; I carefully heated the steel hose where it was bent and did my best to hammer out the 'dink' in it, which meant that the new hose went through okay; the last task was to drill out some broken studs that held the right hand brake cover plate and put it all back together. I have still to repair the steel tube where I cut through it as it only has a plastic bag cable tied round it to prevent water ingress :dizzy: but that's for another day; so the fun continues :lol:

Jeremy

Nick Drew

Post #48 by Nick Drew » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:59 am

A never ending labour of love Jeremy, but great to see what you are doing with your machine mate, all credit to you, it must be very rewarding ;-)

All the best

Nick

essexpete

Post #49 by essexpete » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:20 pm

Patience of a saint Jeremy!

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #50 by Jeremy Rowland » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:02 pm

essexpete wrote:Patience of a saint Jeremy!

Only in my older age Pete :lol: :lol: would have turned the air blue in my younger days :oops:

Jeremy

Return to “Excavators”