Drott BTD6 Radiator Cap Spec and suggestions on fuel problem

Discuss track loaders here

Topic author
gordon West OZ
Flag: Australia

Drott BTD6 Radiator Cap Spec and suggestions on fuel problem

Post #1 by gordon West OZ » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:59 am

I have an International BTD6 Drott B6-K3 requiring a replacement radiator cap. Can anybody help with the pressure rating for that particular model.

Secondly the Drott starts and runs for about 15 minutes before starving for fuel. I have checked all lines and there are no leaks, etc.

Any suggestions on this matter would be appreciated as it becomes very frustrating having to hand prime the beast every time it stops.

Alternately I was going to replace the primer pump with an in-line electric pump delivering around 5psi LPH - typically a facet Pump. Any experiences along there lines would be appreciated.

Thanks Guys

Gordon

Mrsmackpaul

Re: Drott BTD6 Radiator Cap Spec and suggestions on fuel problem

Post #2 by Mrsmackpaul » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:15 pm

Sounds like the breather is blocked on the fuel tank
I wouldnt replace the lift pump with a electric pump we have to remember 10's of thousands of these worked fine from day 1 and still do today with the lift pump
Im no help at all with the radiator cap but would suggest the cap of a AWD 6 or similar variant of diesel tractor would be the same

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #3 by FOWLER MAN » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:14 pm

Hi Gordon,
It's a long time since I played with a BTD 6 and I have no reference book but I believe the rad. cap had a 9 lbs. rating :?:
That would increase the boiling point of the coolant by just over 12 degrees C.
Five lbs. increase in cap pressure will raise the boiling point of the coolant from 100 deg. C. [212 deg. F.} at normal pressure by 6.27deg.C. { 20 deg. F.]. :ugeek:

As far as your fuel problem is concerned. The tank on the BTD6 is high enough to gravity feed the pump. Have you got a gravity feed flowing to the lift pump connection if you remove the feed pipe after the engine cuts out? :think:
I had a similar problem with an old TD6 which turned out to be a pellet of muck like a little pebble floating in the fuel feed pipe. It was too big to pass through the fitting, (connector), joining the feed pipe where it goes through the tractor bulkhead by the starter motor. It was sticking there and shutting the fuel off like a valve and then releasing after the engine stopped. :roll:
It's a slim chance but it might be worth checking. If it can happen once it may happen again. :lol:
Fred

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #4 by FOWLER MAN » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:46 pm

Mrsmackpaul wrote:Sounds like the breather is blocked on the fuel tank
I wouldnt replace the lift pump with a electric pump we have to remember 10's of thousands of these worked fine from day 1 and still do today with the lift pump
Im no help at all with the radiator cap but would suggest the cap of a AWD 6 or similar variant of diesel tractor would be the same

Paul

Good thinking Paul,
It is the same 264 engine as the AWD6 if you need the rad cap or a lift pump. :thumbup:
I didn't think of the tank breather :oops:
I think they breathe through the filler cap and I have never found a problem there.
Fred

Topic author
gordon West OZ

Post #5 by gordon West OZ » Mon May 01, 2017 2:59 am

Thanks guys for the reply. Re: rad cap - Very informative Fred Thank you. I'll source a 7lb ( I know I can easily get that one) and see how it goes with respect to over heating. If unsuccessful I'll go a little higher in pressure.

The fuel flow does gravity feed to the connection point as noted but I will check the line for blockages. The tank it self vents fine with not obstructions at that end.

I tend to agree with your comment Paul. I am reluctant to change from the lift pump but am suspicious that the internals maybe passing or the two way/ one way valve is not operating correctly. I'll strip the pump down before resorting to replacing or by passing it. A couple of "Diesel experts" over here (of similar vintage to the Drott) have indicated I can't do any harm replacing with the in-line electric pump but I would prefer to keep original if possible. Thanks again for the feedback. Regards Gordon

Return to “Track Loaders”