Ruston Bucyrus Cranes/Draglines.

Discuss cranes here

Anders933
Flag: Sweden

Re: Ruston Bucyrus Cranes/Draglines.

Post #121 by Anders933 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:47 pm

Rebuilt 38-RB in 1996.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kodiak
Flag: Croatia

Post #122 by kodiak » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:28 pm

Hello

I need help. We have RB22 crane on older cargo vessel. Engine inside is Ruston & Hornsby 4YEN engine. Since engine is in bad bad condition we need other engine or parts for overhaul of existing engine. We tried to find parts for overhaul and didnt succeeded. Since we dont have engine parts manual we cant give exact parts numbers and possible seller - Lincoln Diesels Ltd so he can check does he have all necessary parts. Reading web articles i found that in these cranes where beside this 4YEN engine where installed air cooled Ruston & Hornsby 6YDAN engines, Caterpillar engines, air cooled Dorman engines and even Detroit Diesel 4-71 engines.

My questions:

- who sells spare parts for these 4YEN engines beside Lincoln Diesels Ltd? I found two used engines in Ireland but in both ways i need spare parts.

- can this air cooled Ruston & Hornsby 6YDAN engine be installed instead of 4YEN engine without any additional work like replacing engine brackets, engine coupling ( transmission)...i found two of these engines and it seems one in good condition.

- what Caterpillar engines and air cooled Dorman engine where installed and other equipment - reduction, transmission... - was installed so they can fit in this crane?

- if this DD 4-71 engine is possible to install what other equipment is necessary to connect this engine with crane drive?

Thank you

modelman093
Flag: Great Britain

Post #123 by modelman093 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:44 am

The Vintage Excavator Trust may be able to assist.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/20121956@ ... 702130864/

kodiak
Flag: Croatia

Post #124 by kodiak » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:43 pm

Try to contact them but there is no answer from them.

billh

Post #125 by billh » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:19 pm

Not much help to you,but we have 22RB with Ruston 6YDA air cooled engine. I think you will find that the Dorman badged equivalent is the same engine, so giving more options to search for a replacement. As to how easy it is to replace your water cooled with the more common air-cooled i cannot say, though as the 22 was available with several engine options I would think that engine mounts and drive train would be fairly standard. Re-drilling the engine beds may be necessary and remove the radiator. The 6YDA has a large belt driven fan in a cowling feeding air across the cylinders. Rating is 75HP in this application.

Return to “Cranes”