Muir Hill A5000

Discuss wheel loaders here

Topic author
taurus MK1
Flag: Great Britain

Muir Hill A5000

Post #1 by taurus MK1 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:47 pm

:D Hi all
Have not posted anything for along time, here's a picture of the thorn in my side, A5000 purchased sometime ago,spent a lot of time servicing up sorting out brakes etc etc, had not moved for 4 years so was a bit unknown,first trip out overheated back in workshop checked basics head off found hole in no 3 bore,water jacket pretty solid with crud so found engine from an old MF combine, swap sumps etc etc back in with engine, I will add at this point taking engine out is not a simple job :evil: Anyway up and running again still running hot, rad off recore,3/4 of core choked with rust, if only antifreeze was kept in systems not just for the obvious but for corrosion inhibitors etc etc! Nearly ready for outing, almost everything on the shovel is a fiddle or poor access etc but I've always fancied one ,obviously i didn't choose the right one. :think:

Jeremy Rowland

Re: Muir Hill A5000

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:10 pm

Hi John, nice one :thumbup: I always thought what an odd looking machine they are, but there seemed to be many about in their heyday and like many machines of that era the last thing the manufacturers generally thought of was the poor bloke who had to fix it when it went wrong. Best of luck with it. :thumbup:

Jeremy

essexpete

Post #3 by essexpete » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:03 am

I always thought that they looked quite an innovative machine in their era. Things like a curved screen, mono boom , 4 wheel steering. All things that are being used on modern machines. Are they fitted with a 2 speed power shift or are there more gear to select? Is the steering switchable?

Thanks Peter

Mrsmackpaul
Flag: Australia

Post #4 by Mrsmackpaul » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:40 am

It always amazes me how when things go crook in the end how much is wrong with them
It also shows just how well built some machines were built compared to what we think they are as some have so much wrong with them when they finally pack it in

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Topic author
taurus MK1

Post #5 by taurus MK1 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:24 pm

:D Considering its age it has a lot of good points,strong boom,chassis,huge pivot pins bushes,good visibility,good steering and good lift capacity for its size. The cab is pretty cramped,controls well laid out.
The A5000 has all wheel steer,there were three other options in the range.Manual change over valve for steering to give four wheel,front wheel and crab steer!
Transmission is an Allison planetary gear type torque converter giving you 4 forward and 2 reverse speeds,selected with lever having high,low and reverse with shuttle at full power capability.
Good brakes oil immersed based on ford tractor rear axle,as used on Muir a Hill tractors. This particular A5000 is ex army so as expected a lot of extras! Complex air over hydraulic brakes with tyre inflation system,air couplers on rear,hydraulics to rear to take Boughton winch and MF 220 backhoe,looks like a rifle holder in cab and fire extinguisher ! and of course 24 volt.
The brakes I have modified and done away with the air as most of the components were stuffed!
In my original post I was moaning,but the problems I have encountered are all neglect related,we are nearly there but at present wondering how we access let alone put a spanner on it a leaking transmission pipe :evil: Looking forward to using her again in the near future.

:rockon: Cheers John

Topic author
taurus MK1

Post #6 by taurus MK1 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:34 pm

:D Another photo showing off Army spec pallet tines with side shift these I reckon these alone weigh approx 600 kg !

:rockon: Cheers John

hair bear

Post #7 by hair bear » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:17 am

If you need any tech advice, try asking on the Historic Militery Vehicles Forum. Lots of ex reme techs there.
If a LandRover doesn't leak oil, it's run out.

Topic author
taurus MK1

Post #8 by taurus MK1 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:33 am

:D Hey thanks for that Hair Bear have been and done that, guys gave me date it went into service and when she came out and in the process of course stirred some memories, it seems quite a common piece of horse play was to shift the steering mode lever whilst new driver was not looking!

:rockon: cheers John

Topic author
taurus MK1

Post #9 by taurus MK1 » Sat May 06, 2017 8:24 pm

:wave: Just thought I put photo on of up and running and shifting rock, impressed with push and break out considering it's age.Given her a new lease of life.

Cheers :rockon: John

Jeremy Rowland

Post #10 by Jeremy Rowland » Sat May 06, 2017 8:48 pm

Nice one John :thumbup: :claphands:

Jeremy

Return to “Wheel Loaders”