Hymac Excavators

Discuss excavators here

strontium90
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Hymac Excavators

Post #1061 by strontium90 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:13 am

Quick question...the injector pump on the Ford 2713E engine needs to be topped up with engine oil for lubrication..How much oil should I put in and how do I determine the level...thanks in advance

Here is a nice pic of her in the setting sun, after a day thumping in fence posts and clearing hedgerows

Jeremy Rowland

Post #1062 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:40 am

Alex I am not too sure on this but I bet Fred Evans 'Fowlerman' will know; Fred? I had always assumed that the pumps cam was automatically lubricated via the engines oil system?

Jeremy

strontium90

Post #1063 by strontium90 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:24 pm

Thanks Jeremy...No, the governor is definitely not self lubricating (even the handbook says it needs to be topped up every 200 hours)...Just don't know how to determine level
Alex

Jeremy Rowland

Post #1064 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:07 pm

strontium90 wrote:Thanks Jeremy...No, the governor is definitely not self lubricating (even the handbook says it needs to be topped up every 200 hours)...Just don't know how to determine level
Alex

I guess Fred will know; the handbook would not tell you much you'd need the Ford engine manual for that kind of detail, I'd have a fair bet it something that probably never gets done unless there is a fuel injection pump problem.

Jeremy

essexpete

Post #1065 by essexpete » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:42 pm

If the type that needs lube then there is a small level plug and you fill from the top. Some of the Ford tractor engines required this but I thought the 21**E type (if similar to an old D series Ford that we ran) did not have separate lubrication. We have a similar 4cyl in an old shovel and I have never filled that with oil either.

strontium90

Post #1066 by strontium90 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:20 pm

Thanks for reply essexpete...it definitely needs topped up cos the guy I bought it off told me to "put a squirt of oil in every couple of days"...not exactly precise...I have been putting oil in through the cap on the top but don't know about level.

This is all it says in the Ford 2700 series workshop manual...Not sure what to do...sorry about image size...copied from pdf

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #1067 by FOWLER MAN » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:38 pm

Hi Alex ,
I have only now noticed your post.
"Later type pump."
You have obviously located the filler plug on top of the governor housing. There will be a level plug on the side of the housing about 2/3 of the way down and a drain plug underneath.
If I were you I would drain it and start fresh . Take out the level plug and fill till the oil runs from it then replace the plug.
In the real world this is rarely checked between oil change intervals.

" Earlier type pump."
Some earlier pumps did not have the level plug but were fitted with an overflow, (drain), to allow escape of surplus oil as the level is topped up by leakage from the pump elements.
This is usually a banjo nut with a small coil of pipe attached. The coil is there so that oil is retained in the pipe preventing dust etc. entering the pump.
This drain will be on the side of the pump below the gallery cover, ( which is held on by two bolts). If you have this type undo the banjo nut and remove the pipe then use that as the level plug. This type does need more frequent attention.
Fred

strontium90

Post #1068 by strontium90 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:48 pm

Thanks Fred...I'm sure it is the later type...I will fill it before I start her again...I'm sure I will have a few more questions before long...lol
Thankfully I was taught "If it moves, grease it, if it doesn't move, paint it"......great forum :dizzy:
Alex

strontium90

Post #1069 by strontium90 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:40 pm

Jeremy Rowland

Post #1070 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:41 pm

Three generations of Hymac excavators here; firstly the 580D from the NEI era, the 121 from the BM Group era built at Pleck Road, Walsall and in the background the 590 built at Hymacs Rhymney site.
The 580D is being broken for bits and I guess the other two will also end up seeing the gas axe which is a real shame :( The 121 is advertised on FleaBay, the details are slightly wrong though the machine is the 11th off the production line and was supplied by Robert Scott to its first owner, the digger has only 900 hours on it but looks rough as it has been close to the sea. Unfortunately the last owner did not check that there was antifreeze in it and it froze up resulting in a cracked engine block.
From what I could see of the block I would guess that it could possibly be repaired by metal stitching and would make somebody a good little digger; the 590 needs saving, she does require a slew ring though but otherwise is in good condition for a machine that must be around 40 years old, should anybody be interested please contact me or Richard Gould of Hymac Parts and Service, these machines are worth a silly offer?
Jeremy

Return to “Excavators”