JCB 3c mk2 general information

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
dw50590
Flag: Wales

JCB 3c mk2 general information

Post #1 by dw50590 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:46 pm

HI All, my name is Adam and I am new to this forum. I have just invested in a very old/tatty JCB 3c mk2. I am fairly new to diggers etc. however I am a skilled engineer, machinist and welder so I do understand majority of what is there.

I am after some help in what are common issues with this type of machine and the things to look out for before it breaks.

I would also like someone to try and identify what engine I have; it has four injectors so would this possibly be a Leyland.

Jcb machine serial number 3c 106033
Tractor serial no 384B 186005
Engine serial number 20078

In its current state is all runs and the hydraulics works ok, I have fitted new fuel filters and cut open the top of the tank this was to remove all the sludge and crap in the bottom, (welded the top back on) I have fitted a new ignition switch so it can now be started on the key, fitted a new lift pump, and its ran every weekend since.

I need to give the hydraulics and good going over etc but any help on some tips and possibly where to get spares etc would be really great.

Kind regards Adam

Topic author
dw50590
Flag: Wales

Re: JCB 3c mk2 general information

Post #2 by dw50590 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:01 pm

topkit
Flag: Great Britain

Post #3 by topkit » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:58 pm

Hi welcome to the forum, i used to have a 3C mk2 myself, As you have sorted the fuel side of thing out i would give the cooling system a good flush out ( you will be suprised how much muck comes out) obviously give it plenty of anti freeze before winter, A decent oil change must also be top of the list, you hear about quite a few people seizing engines on these machines, i would even think about having the sump off and cleaning it out, you can also see what the bottom end looks like too. parts are easy enough to get for these too. Good luck

pityu
Flag: Hungary

Post #4 by pityu » Mon May 02, 2016 2:33 pm

[video][video][video][video][/video][/video][/video][/video]

essexpete

Post #5 by essexpete » Tue May 03, 2016 12:30 am

Check to see if the hydraulic oil is reasonably clear. If it is really milky looking then oil and filter could do with a change.
Definitely as David said change the engine oil and filter. Check the transmission oil (I cannot remember if the gearbox and back end are one or split in two?)

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”