Europa Truck Trial

Topic author
hair bear
Flag: Great Britain

Europa Truck Trial

Post #1 by hair bear » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:56 am

Digging through a load of old VHS tapes (remember those?) last week and found a recording of some of the 1998 Europa Truck Trials shown on EuroSport. I remember them coming to the UK for the only time in 2000 as it was held locally to me on Slab Common in Hampshire but after that it just disapeared from TV even though it is still held in Europe.
Anyone else remember seeing it on TV more recently and if so where???
Also found some footage of the 1998 Rachau Hill Climb - last held in 2004 and no longer run for safety reasons? I thought that was the whole point! :doh:
If a LandRover doesn't leak oil, it's run out.

Mrsmackpaul
Flag: Australia

Re: Europa Truck Trial

Post #2 by Mrsmackpaul » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:12 am

I no nothing about any of this except the VHS video

A bit of useless information Europa was a fuel company in New Zealand years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zWumm98BrE

Europa (oil company)

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Stormin

Post #3 by Stormin » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:15 am

Isn't Slab common also where the All Wheel Drive Club used to have their heavies trials. There was some footage on Top gear years ago with Tony Mason but at a different venue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orGpT8TDRpA

Youtube is also the place to look to find upto date European truck trialling footage.

I don't suppose it helped that British truck manufacturers hadn't made a real off-road truck since the Scammell Explorer of the 1950's. All the trucks featured tended to be European or Russian so not much likelihood of sponsorship deals bringing the trials to the UK.

Topic author
hair bear

Post #4 by hair bear » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:27 pm

Hi,
Yes there are lots of videos on youtube but none obviously on TV.
The one thing that stuck in my mind at Slab was a three axle Merc that went over a vertical drop into water and finished up resting on it's middle axle and windscreen. Enter the cavalry in the shape of the REMEs Explorer which backed into the hole, hooked up the Merc and bodily dragged it out sideways - didn't even open up the govener. The only thing missing was the Dambusters March playing loudly as it went! I wish I'd caught it on camera.
It has to be said though, the Explorer was kept busy all day and it could have been wishful thinking but it seemed to get in and out of everywhere the trial trucks went and with far less fuss.
As for Rachau, yes there's youtube but it's about time they did it again. Thinking on, They used to show Icelandic offroading as well although it should have been called 'How to drive up the side of a volcano and survive!
Paul, it's difficult to explain but if you search for 'Europa truck Trial', Rachau Hill Climb', and Icelandic Offroad' You'll see what I mean.
Rob.
If a LandRover doesn't leak oil, it's run out.

Return to “Trucks/Lorrys”