To paint or not to paint!

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
smithhymac
Flag: Great Britain

To paint or not to paint!

Post #1 by smithhymac » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:43 pm

Hi all, so my 1962 JCB 3 that I am restoring is coming on well, but I would like your thoughts on whether or not early 1960's jcb's had there hydraulic hoses painted yellow or left clean and black? I've seen many pictures of near complete machines in the factory not painted but plumbed up to function. Would they of masked off the hoses to spray the machines or sprayed everything?.They don't seem to of assembled the machines painted.
I personally prefer the black hose clean look but I am going for a concourse finish on my machine.

Steelfab

Re: To paint or not to paint!

Post #2 by Steelfab » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:10 am

I have seen both, but they look much better left as black as the paint will crack on the hoses and over time look unsightly. The genuine JCB hoses are a better rubber compound than you get at your local ag dealer and look much better quality on a restored machine. The genuine JCB hoses have a very smooth shiny finish whereas local hose suppliers use a lower quality hoses which are not as smooth

regards Julian

TullyveeryClassicJCB

Post #3 by TullyveeryClassicJCB » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:55 pm

On the JCB 3 Brochure some were painted and some were not. In fact the hoses around the king post in the brochure are black. See pics. One of the pictures is of the JCB spray booth of pre 1973 mk2 machines being painted with masked off hoses. I hope it comes out clearly.
William

JCB Hydra Digger Loadall 65
JCB 3DIII Powertrain
JCB 3DIII (Manual)
JCB 3DII
JCB 3CIII
JCB 805B

Topic author
smithhymac

Post #4 by smithhymac » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:07 am

I was kind of hoping for this conclusion, I didn't feel happy with the idea of painting the hoses.
I have my own gear to make hoses up, I use Parker fittings and pipe with good results. Also making them myself I can spread the cost and fit them correctly on the machine rather the popping down the local ag engineer with a tape measure!

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”