George Wimpey (Plant)

Discuss large and small companies here.

mitchellab

Re: George Wimpey (Plant)

Post #41 by mitchellab » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:17 pm

Hi Geoff, I remember Danny Moss well, met him at Swinford on M1 Contract Summer 1963. Happy smiling man he was.
I was just speaking with cousin Michael on the phone a couple of days ago and had his wife in a panic on hearing this voice from Australia .Then went on talking to Michael about all the old skins now parked up. Great to hear from you.
Tony Mitchell

Jim M
Flag: Great Britain

Post #42 by Jim M » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:27 pm

My neighbour worked for Wimpey ,his name was Roy Sterland don't know if anyone knew him. He said he operated Scrapers, Blades, and sometimes a grader. He gave me advice once on operating a grader,he told me to "Play it like a Piano" ,I said to him "That's all right if you can play one" which i cant :lol: . Sadly Roy passed away last may, he was an old school muckshifter with plenty of stories to tell.

Jim

ian white

Post #43 by ian white » Sun May 08, 2011 1:58 am

topkit wrote:Back in the year of 1978 my parents were fortunate enough to purchase a new house in East Grinstead it was on a Wimpey development if i remember correctly 92 houses and we were the second family to move in, it was sheer heaven for me, on the site they had a 1977 3c mk2 and a hymac 580c in Wimpey orange, i have a couple of photos which i will add soon, I remember the JCB Being swapped over one day and watching the operator climb the machines on and off the side of the low loader. Like so many large companies the so called accountants or Consultants are bought in and they hatchet everything.

i too have lived on a wimpey site, we moved to a wimpey site in swansea, in 1976 they had a 580c there, reg pye104r and a 3c lyo465p,

tippertom

Post #44 by tippertom » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:08 pm

hi great photo I worked for wimpey in 1979
at Salford on plant and waggons
plant department was a sight to remember
951s 955 977s d6 d8s etc
full rebuilds
great firm to work for more pics please

tippertom

Post #45 by tippertom » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:38 pm

does anyone remember wimpey waste
they had depots all over uk
any pics would be great think
they took over powell duffrine engineering

68a

Post #46 by 68a » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:30 pm

i went to look at a d8 at one of their waste tips in dundee during 1991.it was to be seen at work.i actually found it with the heads off and the sheets blown off the block.it had been abandoned to the elements.
i also hired d8's to wimpey mining and wimpey ashphelt untill tarmac took over.

68a

Post #47 by 68a » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:30 pm

i went to look at a d8 at one of their waste tips in dundee during 1991.it was to be seen at work.i actually found it with the heads off and the sheets blown off the block.it had been abandoned to the elements.
i also hired d8's to wimpey mining and wimpey ashphelt untill tarmac took over.

shaun.monaghan

Post #48 by shaun.monaghan » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:25 pm

i was wondering if any one on here had any more pictures of the chapmans wells opencast site as my dad was gf there before dying suddenly in 86 thanks shaun monaghan

davemadden

Post #49 by davemadden » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:00 pm

Mark Williams wrote:Hello All,
Does anybody know what the relationship was between Wimpeys and a contractor called Motorways.
When it was final backfilling time on the o.c.c.sites down in Wales from the 60s to the 90s,Motorways equipment (D9s, D8s and boxes) would be brought in to carry out the task.
This was I remember a very professional company which worked long hours and kept their plant in tip top condition.
I heard that Motorways owner was a reletive of the Wimpey family,but never new if this was true.
Any help would be appreciated.
Regards,
Mark. :D

There was a connection between Motorways and Wimpey. A mate of mine was a foreman driver for Wimpey and he would tell me that towards the end of a job the Wimpey machines would be parked up first, while the Motorway machines kept working. I know from personal experience in business that there was a lot of "fiddle" going on in the sixties and seventies.

tctractors

Post #50 by tctractors » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:00 pm

Motorways, was based in Stratford upon Avon on the West side in an industrial estate (Manor Road?), they had a fair setup with some good tractors-scrapers and good drivers, the Boss being Pat Barrat who was a cracking chap, I sometimes used to get involved with moving kit (Low Loader) and became very friendly with their Low Loader driver, who was sadly killed under his trailer while steam cleaning the thing, this was a shock to me as he was usually so fussy about chains and lifting, anyhow he had a brood of kids and a loving Wife so things must have been very hard for them.
In the workshop things seemed very well organized with lots of experts at changing cylinder heads on K's and very impressive coats of paint,I still use parts and tooling I bought at their sale, I also went to the C Tunnel Terminal to repair some TS 14's for them, they also had some K's on the site push loading and levelling a spoil heap. tctractors

Return to “Companies”