Sheepfoot roller !?

Post leaflets and brochures of machines here

Topic author
eyadinuae

Sheepfoot roller !?

Post #1 by eyadinuae » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:55 am

Something strange ! and I think rare , anyone have real photos for R.G LeTourneau ? what is benefit for it ? it is used as a roller for highways or for as a mining equipment ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeremy Rowland

Re: Sheepfoot roller !?

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:37 pm

Ayad this machine is a compactor used for compressing earth or material; some are used on waste land fill sites.

Jeremy

Topic author
eyadinuae

Post #3 by eyadinuae » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:26 pm

I thought from it's name sheepfoot and the configure of the pins on the roller with it's tall and thin rather than to be thick and round or rectangular to compacting .. then I think it is for plough the hard soil into soft one for drift ....but I found these pics :
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bigkit
Flag: Great Britain

Post #4 by bigkit » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:03 pm

Ah Jeremy ;) , dont jump to conclusions, it does say sheepsfoot roller at the top of the brochure :eh: , and bearing in mind it is a Le Tourneau product from "the God Father" of earthmoving Eyad could be right? :?:

:think:

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #5 by FOWLER MAN » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:51 am

Hi,
We had a towed dead weight sheepsfoot roller made by John Allen of Oxford at one time.
It was better than a smooth wheel vibrating roller on soft clay and cohesive soil, but not much good on anything else.
It was claimed that the point loading on the feet transfered more weight / pressure to the ground and that because the feet penetrated each layer it effectively compacted the layer from the bottom up.
One obvious advantage was that it left a keyed surface which eliminated the slip plane between layers. The obvious disadvantage was the surface held water if it rained,
Fred

Return to “Leaflets and brochures”