Scrape dozers

Discuss equipment which does not fit in in the other forums here, like cable cranes, material handlers, drilling, piling and screen equipment

Topic author
TaylorLambert

Scrape dozers

Post #1 by TaylorLambert » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:04 am

Anyone here ever get to experience a Frutiger scrape dozer? I saw my first one on the old Polytac site and got a few leaflet from Fruitiger. Ive seen a few You tube videos to. Id love to have one at the landfill right now and in the winter for moving cover soil. We are in a sand and clay mix that moisture seeps through and wont ever dry. Out scrapers just cant handle it well Trucks dont do good in it either. Plus If I had one on site Id be the only kid on the block with one lol.

I like the way they fron dump to. I have a friend thas saw a few in Germany and one in Japan on a site.

FatCatGotHot
Flag: Germany

Re: Scrape dozers

Post #2 by FatCatGotHot » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:34 pm

Hi Taylor,

I'm not an operator - but I'll share what I know abou them. I hope that will give you an idea how they work.

They are an scraper bowl on tracks. And for an tracked earthmover, they go fast! The pictures below show a Frutiger SR 3000, the biggest scraperdozer built. I wached it removing topsoil, it made the earth shakin. It seemed to be a capable earthmoving tool. With 42 tons (38,000 kg) empty, 75+ tons loaded, they reach 22km/h...guess that will be ~14mph. 18m³/24 cubic yards bucket between the tracks, driven by an Mercedes V8-Diesel with 480 HP.

Fast on tracks speaks for alot of wear and tear on the undercarriage. So scraperdozers are designed to work in a shuttle manner, without turns like a towed scraper. Thats why the operator sits sideways in his cab. No turns, cuts time and less wear on the undercarriage. Further, the undercarriage has an hydropneumatic suspension for each track and an elevated, isolated sprocket (on the SR 3000, not on the smaller SR 2000) to smoothen the fast ride. No equalizer bar like crawler tractor have, no need for it.

Frutiger states that their scraperdozers will outperform any other earthmoving system within a distance of 500 meters. They are a complete one-man show: They will rip, load, haul, spread and compact dirt without the use of another machine. You can mount ripper tynes behind the blade, so when you go backwards to get to the next cut, you will loosen the ground without a pass "doin-nothin".

Like I understand earthmoving in general, a selfloading, moving earthmover like a scraper or dozer is always more complex to use for the operator then an standing excavator loading trucks (AGAIN: I am not an operator and I dont want to abase the excavator guys here! Thats what I was told, what I've read about it and how I understand it). So the performance of these machines really depends on the expirience of the operator(...OK, I can see that - you can say that for almost every machine you use). Thats why almost every scraperozer that works on a rental basis in Europe goes with its own operator.

A skilled operator will know to close the apron a good bit while loading to avoid letting the dirt roll out again (remember, no more scraper-action in Germany these days). He will know to use the bowl to tear out a tree stump or remove a boulder. And he will know how to build a dam through a stretch of deeper water to get to his lunchbox. Which sits on the other side for unknown reason.

Yeah, I LIKE them. I just dont like that porta-johns-look they got now.

Hope this helps. Got smokin fingers now,

Max
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by FatCatGotHot on Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FatCatGotHot

Post #3 by FatCatGotHot » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:41 pm

That construction site where I took these photos had soft, wet top soil. Dont know how to compare to your situation, but the machine seemed to handle it very good.

Topic author
TaylorLambert

Post #4 by TaylorLambert » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:19 am

I would like to try one, I saw them a few years ago on the Polytrac website. Im amazed at the speed of 14 mph. Thats as fast as our Deere scraper in 3rd gear and double the capacity. With an excaator Id have to hire 2 more workers and Id rather have one machine. We re about 250 to 300 yards at the most. Thanks for the pictures and the information.

FatCatGotHot

Post #5 by FatCatGotHot » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:31 pm

Hi Taylor,

scrapedozers where originally designed to cope with the wet conditions often found in Europe. And clay mixed with sand sounds like a real good "scrapeable" material, but you seem to have problems with traction. Got you right?

According to Frutiger, on a distance of 300 yards hourly production should be almost 420 cubic yards (or 300m³/hour @ 270 meters). Found this performance diagram: http://www.scrapedozer.com/en/performance-diagram/

Talked to an mechanic of Frutiger, the machine I showed you was named after his wife, Karin. From what he told me, Frutiger is eager to show the capabilities of their new SR 3000 whereever they can. They offer their scrapedozers on rental basis or for sale: http://www.scrapedozer.com/en/contact/

Topic author
TaylorLambert

Post #6 by TaylorLambert » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:08 am

Traction is our myain problem the D5B and D4H both doze it well. THe clay and sand hold moisture and the the little 2 wheel drive scrapers just spin down. In the summer we can make a one pass across the cut. Then let it dry over night and then come back the next day and cut. Our scrapers arent ment to push load being elevator scrapers. I watched the vid Operation Silent Night on youtube about the earthmoving job over night in Germany and was amazed.

Return to “Misc earthmoving equipment”