Can anybody identify this machine?

Discuss equipment which does not fit in in the other forums here, like cable cranes, material handlers, drilling, piling and screen equipment

XS650
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Can anybody identify this machine?

Post #11 by XS650 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:06 pm

Wonder if it could be Muir Hill ? they made some weird and wonderfull rope op loading shovels on E1A Majors and I think they also had something to do with Winget cranes.
Not very often everyone on here is stumped !

edit -in fact Freds posted a Muir Hill crane on here ( later date but similar principle) ;-

Muir%20Hill%20Crane.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Not all those who wander are lost.

Topic author
smithhymac
Flag: Great Britain

Post #12 by smithhymac » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:45 pm

thanks for the response guys, I think you way be right about the skid unit, may well of been a E27N originally :thumbup:
Looking at the pictures you can see what looks like a compressor running off the major belt pulley, Air controls for the winch drums maybe?
Also, with the Muir Hill idea, the very late E27N major based loading shovels had a mix of rope and hydraulic functions so they could be a likely maker!
The sprung front axle was ahead of it's time too!
I hope some body out there recognises it, it would be worth saving although I don't think it's likely to go any where soon!

essexpete

Post #13 by essexpete » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:36 pm

The idea of a replacement skid seems, on more viewing, very likely with the what looks like remnants of yellow on the frame and the Fordson in regular blue. I would have thought the whole machine would have been painted.
It would be a real shame if that got cut up.

TaylorLambert

Post #14 by TaylorLambert » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:27 am

Thats a neat rig, It should be saved and in a display somewhere. You fellas got all the neat toys over there. Is there any signs of where it may have worked in the area? My late neighbor showed me a stream change that a Byers half sine shovel dug out in the late 1930s. The dipper was still there. IT had been replaced with a new one.

Can you get pictures of the slewing mechanism?

Return to “Misc earthmoving equipment”