G.P.S systems

Discuss equipment which does not fit in in the other forums here, like cable cranes, material handlers, drilling, piling and screen equipment

Topic author
tone_rmz250

G.P.S systems

Post #1 by tone_rmz250 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:34 pm

Has anyone had anything to do with these new gps system fitted on machines, im not really sure how they work! is there a member who has used it and could give us a run down on it, maybe SRB maybe able to help with this :thumbs_up:

SRB
Flag: Great Britain

Re: G.P.S systems

Post #2 by SRB » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:23 pm

Right, I'll give it a go on what i know.......... please any one step in and put me right as i ramble on.

There are two types of systems, laser and GPS.

Laser one works off several stations that give out a signal (has anyone seen those things that decorators use that sit in the middle of your lounge ond put a red line all around the room if you were putting dado rails up etc?) well, they basicly use the same, and the machine picks up the signal and it knows if it has to pick the blade up or drop it down to reach the desired level, can be either automatic - does all the blade movements automaticly or manual via lights which show you which way to go, up down etc...

The GPS system, works in the same way, except that all the site surveyors information is put onto a computer that is held on site (a "Base station"), this info is then sent to the machine via statalites that give the operator a 3D real time view of the area to be worked, so you can see where you have moved material from and too..

I've stuck the info brouchure on the Filebase which does a better job than i do of explaining it, its under Caterpillar and titled CAES brochure.

Some pictures of the systems on machines,

And i'll dig out some more info for you....

SB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
He who hingeth aboot, getteth hee-haw

Robban_C

Re: G.P.S systems

Post #3 by Robban_C » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:51 pm

SRB wrote:... The GPS system, works in the same way, except that all the site surveyors information is put onto a computer that is held on site (a "Base station"), this info is then sent to the machine via statalites that give the operator a 3D real time view of the area to be worked, so you can see where you have moved material from and too.. ...

And those systems have senders on all joints on the machine, the computer use those senders to calculate exactly where the bucket is and compares this to a 3-d map showing the desired result.
The GPS systems are quite expensive, in Sweden they cost at least 10 000 €.

The laser systems are much cheaper with a pricing for a complete system including the machine monted recieving unit around 800-1500 €.

Laser systems are perfect for doing perfectly flat gradings, digging trenches for a sour with the right angle (sorry, I do not know how to translate it better than that), footings that should be flat etc.
I have a laser system to my digger. I can snap a few shots with my camera if you want and I can explain it better with the photos.
Volvo EC45 PRO -06
Volvo EC35 -01
MB-Trac 800 turbo
Bigab 10-14 hook lift trailer
MF 3165, Poor Ferguson

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/RobbanxC

Return to “Misc earthmoving equipment”