Stackers and Reclaimers

Discuss equipment which does not fit in in the other forums here, like cable cranes, material handlers, drilling, piling and screen equipment

Topic author
Ian Fletcher1970
Flag: Great Britain

Stackers and Reclaimers

Post #1 by Ian Fletcher1970 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:12 pm

These do not fit the title of earthmoving equipment, but are similar to bucket wheel excavators and having found them in my archives, I decided to post them. They are a boom stacker and barrel reclaimer working on the iron ore blending beds of the Sinter Plant at Corus Scunthorpe, taken around 2001. They were made by Strachan and Henshaw of Bristol. the boom stacker stacks out blended material to form a stockpile and the barrel reclaimer works like a bucket wheel excavator, picking up the material, after pulling it down with its oscillating rake, feeds it onto a cross conveyor inside the barrel and then onto the main sinter plant feed conveyor. IIRC there was a large traverser to move the reclaimer from one ore bed to another (the machines are mounted on rails) I can also highly recommend the steam hauled rail tour of the Corus, Scunthorpe site.
Incidently the firm I used to work for - the now defunct Butterley Engineering of Ripley, Derbyshire supplied 2 boom stackers and 2 barrel reclaimers to the now closed Gascoigne Wood site of the Selby Coalfield in the early 1980's and I have attached 2 brochures of these machines to this post.

Ian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

IBH

Re: Stackers and Reclaimers

Post #2 by IBH » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:07 pm

Thanks for posting the above- interesting stuff :claphands:
The last two photos remind of my Nan's old mangle :P

Holger
Site Admin
Flag: Sweden

Post #3 by Holger » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:19 pm

Impressive machinery!
Some resources:
How-To

TEZB

Post #4 by TEZB » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:23 pm

Hi Ian, I live about 6 or 7 mile's from Ripley and can say it was a sad day when Butterley closed. Some of the greatest steel structures in Britain came from Butterly.

Topic author
Ian Fletcher1970
Flag: Great Britain

Post #5 by Ian Fletcher1970 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:29 pm

Hi Terry,
It was definately a sad day when Butterley closed - one of the few proper heavy engineering firms in the UK - we are rapidly becoming a Nation that cannot make anything - look at the firms that have gone in this area in the last 20 years: Butterley, Markhams, Stanton, International Combustion etc.
I have lots of Butterley Brochures and Photo's etc. PM me if you're interested.

All the Best

Ian

Return to “Misc earthmoving equipment”