The way we were

Discuss equipment which does not fit in in the other forums here, like cable cranes, material handlers, drilling, piling and screen equipment

Topic author
FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Re: The way we were

Post #11 by FOWLER MAN » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:55 am

Hello again ,
Thanks for your interest, I'll try to cover a few more of the 1950's rope machines I worked on.
I worked for a firm in the early 60's who ran older Rustons, Priestman Tigers, a Smith and a Blaw Knox 50.
End of the 50s Priestmans producd the Cub 1/4 yard, Wolf 3/8 yard, Tiger 5/8 yard,the 3/4 yard Panther and the new model the Lion was a 7/8 yard machine.
Appart from the Cub which was available with various Lister and Ford Engine options all the ones I worked on were Dorman powered. Priestmans inroduced the Hydra Cub backactor about that time with a ram to crowd and empty the bucket, and air control on the new Lion though I didnt get to work on them for a few more years. The only one I never worked on was the Wolf though I did transplant the 3 cyl Dorman from a retired Wolf into a 72T roller.
The two tigers we had were fairly new and very reliable, only ever did servicing and clutch and brake bands on them.
Priestman Cub.jpg
Priestman Wolf 3-8 yd..jpg
Priestman Tiger.JPG
Priestman Lion dragline.JPG

The Rustons were 19 and 22 RB's dating from 1937 to brand new. The 1930s 19's had 3VQR air start engines,there was a 2 cyl. petrol compressor unit on the floor behind the drivers seat (or should I say saddle)
one cylinder driving and the other making air. The opperator had to kneel to swing the compressor. If the system was sound you could build 350 lbs. pressure and that would start the engine every day for a week.
One unusual feature of these engines was a three peice con-rod, the rod consisted of top and bottom caps and separate rod with the bolts going through all three, you had to introduce shimms between the top cap and rod to get the correct bump clearance between the piston and head. (Better than the Perkins P & R series of that time where unbeleivably to fit new pistons you had to build them in then measure the clearance across the top of the block ,take them back out, remove the con-rods, turn down the piston crowns in the lathe and assemble it all again. You might take off anything from 0 to 60 thou and they'd all be different).
I grafted a Gardner 5LW out of an Albion bus into one of those 19's. The19 was 27 years old at the time, it was on face shovel and first job with the new heart was to load 30,000 tons of ballast. Went without a hitch.
On another occasion a newer 19 RB (again on face shovel) which was fitted with a Ruston 4VROH engine, was sited in a hole being fed by dumpers. He was feeding a coal washing plant and the whole opperation depended on this machine. There was no means of getting a dead machine out of this hole.
I was sitting in the workshop building up the teeth on a bevel gear for another Ruston, ( we did things like that in those days), when Bill, my boss, came in and announced that the 19 had broken its crank shaft.
The opperator, looking at what I was doing said sarcasticly," It's a wonder you dont want to weld it isn't it?"
"Now thats an idea!!"says Bill. "Fffred?"
The engine had crank case doors (plates) on the sides, so I was able to get at the crank. It had broken through the web between 3 and 4 . We dropped the oil and alligned the break, I gouged it out pretty deep and welded it using a chrome dissimular rod.
Beleive it or not we were able to drive it out of the hole with the assistance of a 955 pushing at the counterweight and ran long enough to get it back home. We found another Ruston engine to put into this one.
Lots more to say about it all but I'd better post some photos and go to bed.
Fred
Ruston Bucyrus 21RB.jpg
19RB.jpg
19RB & Muir Hill 14B.jpg
Shovel Bucyrus Erie 10B 1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

XS650
Flag: Great Britain

Post #12 by XS650 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:00 pm

Great stuff Fred good to hear how these machines performed as well as the images :thumbup:
Not all those who wander are lost.

BulldozerD11

Post #13 by BulldozerD11 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:32 pm

:thumbup: great photos and reminiscences there Fred
look forward to the next instalment :)

dave
Interested in Tractors, Plant, Heavy Haulage or Steam visit http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/Tractor_%26_Construction_Plant_Wiki
Help document every manufacturer model build, and record every machine in preservation, clubs and events etc.

Holger
Site Admin
Flag: Sweden

Post #14 by Holger » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:11 pm

Unbelievable photos and stories we get to see and read here!
Thank you Fred, and thanks to everybody else sharing theire great stuff!
Some resources:
How-To

Neversweat

Post #15 by Neversweat » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:47 pm

Great topic Fred :thumbup:

I've been onto someone on one of the truck forums that has some appropriate pics and asked if he could post them here :thumbup:

Steve :)

Martyn Henley

Post #16 by Martyn Henley » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:20 pm

:thumbup: Steve you dont ave to ask .. bring it on :bow:

Martyn

essexpete

Post #17 by essexpete » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:55 am

Brilliant old photos. Thanks so much for sharing them Fred. Another engine to add to the Smith power on a 10 - Dorman.

Topic author
FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #18 by FOWLER MAN » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:01 am

Neversweat wrote:Great topic Fred :thumbup:

I've been onto someone on one of the truck forums that has some appropriate pics and asked if he could post them here :thumbup:

Steve :)

Yes Steve , the more the better.
I asked in the first post if anyone had photos of larger Ransomes & Rapier Machines, I have a few more here.
Ransomes and Rapier 425.jpg
R&R 425 and Fodens.jpg

And one to remind us what the job was realy like.
Fred
R&R 410 (joys of the job).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #19 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:48 am

Great pictures and a great topic thanks Fred :bow:

Jeremy

martyn williams

Post #20 by martyn williams » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:39 am

Great photos Fred :thumbup:

Return to “Misc earthmoving equipment”