The way we were

Discuss equipment which does not fit in in the other forums here, like cable cranes, material handlers, drilling, piling and screen equipment

Neversweat
Flag: Great Britain

Re: The way we were

Post #21 by Neversweat » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:57 pm

These are from Richgriff - Its his family owned quarry at Cwmyniscoy - Pontypool in the 60's - At the time it was busy supplying the new town of Cwmbran - Some don't quite fit this topic but as they all go together then :thumbup:

Richgriff 1.jpg

Richgriff 2.jpg

Richgriff 3.jpg

Richgriff 4.jpg

Richgriff 5.jpg

Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Neversweat

Post #22 by Neversweat » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:00 pm

Next batch .....................

Richgriff 6.jpg

Richgriff 7.jpg

Richgriff 8.jpg

Richgriff 9.jpg

Richgriff 10.jpg

Steve :thumbup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #23 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:06 pm

Great pics nonetheless Steve ;)

Jeremy

Topic author
FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #24 by FOWLER MAN » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:47 pm

Hi Steve,
Thanks for these great pics. They fit in here better than you think, at that time I was working for Wm.Pepper and later for D Griffiths and Sons at Newbridge about 5 miles from Cwmyniscoy Quarry. I remember the quarry working and the Jervis Dodge in your picture.
Another story from that time, Bill Griffiths had a job dredging silt from a basin at Newport Docks.
He had one of his old air start 19 RB dragline's on the job but it couldn't cast out far enough to reach the centre of the basin.
The bottom of the basin was pretty solid so it was decided to take a small blade and push the stuff within reach of the 19.
The smallest dozer we had was a David Brown 30 TD with Blaw Knox blade. It had to be lowered into the basin and the 19RB opperator refused saying it was too heavy.(4tons??)
He was quite right of course, but Bill Griffiths, undeterred, said he would do it himself.
Apparently he set up the 19 on the edge of the dock and with the jib up nearly straight, and on a single rope, (no return block),he made a trial lift.
This proving sattisfactory he started to lower the DB into the dock. It started to get away from him and he stood on the brake, the rope snapped and the jib sprung back over the machine.
I was sent for, and found the jib shaped like a bannana, it had wrapped itself back over the cab and the jib-head sheaves were actualy touching the ground behind the counterweight. Wish I'd had a camera!!
The DB had landed in the silt unharmed and the only injury was to Bills pride. (Good job there was no HSE in those days).
Kept me in work sorting it out I suppose.
Fred
Last edited by FOWLER MAN on Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
FOWLER MAN

Post #25 by FOWLER MAN » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:48 am

Hello,
To complete the rope machines from the 50's, there were a few American machines from wartime still working, British rail had a Linkbelt and an Osgood in the area. They also had at least two new 1/2 yard Blaw-Knox B-K 50's.
These were American designed Insley machines made here under licence. I don't know about the American versions, but the Brit. ones had Perkins P6 engines and were available on tracks or as a truck-mount on a moddified "Dennis Jubilant" chassis, the army used these.
Wm. Pepper had a tracked machine with grab which I looked after about 1963. It wasn't a bad machine.
img007.jpg
blaw-knox-1.jpg

The only other one that comes to mind is the Allen . This was a Michigan also built under licence by John Allen of Oxford. These were 1/2 yard truck-mount machines with Leyland or Dorman engines. I think there was a bigger Gardner powered version too??
I remember them about but never did anything with them, anyone know more??
Allen 6 skimmer.jpg

1950's dozers next post.
Fred

Neversweat

Post #26 by Neversweat » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:06 pm

Not sure if these are old enough Fred....................

nordestnn4.jpg

Copy of 933880Carriere.jpg

basculeurqo1.jpg

Steve

Topic author
FOWLER MAN

Post #27 by FOWLER MAN » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:34 pm

Hi Steve,
Thanks for posting. It's hard to be sure on age of some of these machines, they overlap from one decade to another. They are 50's or 60's anyway and thats near enough for me. :thumbup:
I have the pic. with the two Muir Hill dumpers, I was going to use it in dumpers but Iv'e got some more. :lol: :thumbup: Is the face shovel in that pic. a 24 RB? :?: :?: They were 7/8 yarders, and from the 1950's :think: . I can't find a photo of one anywhere.
Fred

Ian Fletcher1970

Post #28 by Ian Fletcher1970 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:42 pm

Hi Fred,
Here's a few from my archives. First a self loading mixer taken in 1987 on Lundy Island in the Bristol Channel, second the Priestman Lion Grabbing Cranes on Bideford Quay , North Devon, taken around 2001. These were used for loading ball clay onto ships and were only replaced around 3 years ago with a Terex Fuchs wheeled material handler. And finally a Priestman Lion dragline that I spotted in 1998 on a camp site in Ingoldmells, Lincolnshire of all places!

Ian

Ian Fletcher1970

Post #29 by Ian Fletcher1970 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:49 pm

Hi Fred,
And some more! A Priestman Cub Mark ??? taken around 2002/3 at the China Clay Museum in Cornwall.

Ian

diggerjones

Post #30 by diggerjones » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:56 pm

went the china clay museum last year and i dont think that machine was there then. but this was.
IMG_1260.JPG

Return to “Misc earthmoving equipment”