The forgotten items of plant

Discuss equipment which does not fit in in the other forums here, like cable cranes, material handlers, drilling, piling and screen equipment

Topic author
martyn williams

The forgotten items of plant

Post #1 by martyn williams » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:13 pm

I would like to see more of the item of plant thats in use on most sites but are taken for granted.Such as concrete mixers compressors etc.These are the forgotten items of plant but are important bits of kit in any construction job.
Photo shows a nice CP compressor powered by a Caterpillar 4400 diesel
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

XS650
Flag: Great Britain

Re: The forgotten items of plant

Post #2 by XS650 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:17 pm

A busy scene from the 70s/80s--- 2 Benford mixers , 2wd dumper's (make ?), JCB 3C and duffel coats :D .........................
Queensgate_Construction_8182_c.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Not all those who wander are lost.

Topic author
martyn williams

Post #3 by martyn williams » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:26 pm

A good mixture there craig,I was having a chat with Fred ( Fowlerman) over a cup of tea yesterday.We were discussing mixers.I then remembered working on Ant Queen hoists,a dangerous bit of kit.Can't find any photos of them.They were basically a virtical mast and a stage,hoisted up with a petter drivern winch.Has anyone worked on one of those ?
Then there were the Linden Alimak hoists same idea but the mast was almost triangular tube construction. Electric motor rack and pinion
Remember duffle coats,got heavy when wet and smelt like a dog :lol:
Martyn

BulldozerD11

Post #4 by BulldozerD11 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:54 pm

B100 LOADER wrote:I would like to see more of the item of plant thats in use on most sites but are taken for granted.Such as concrete mixers compressors etc.These are the forgotten items of plant but are important bits of kit in any construction job.
Photo shows a nice CP compressor powered by a Caterpillar 4400 diesel

Hi martyn

Look like Dorset there which probably has the biggest turn out of ancillary equipment on display at any show. pumps, traffic lights, that drag box spreader, cement/concrete mixers etc.

Several of the other road building display gangs have good selection as well but nothing as extensive.

The Local show had an immaculate Generator welder set like that compressor but on Rubber tyres, as found on many a bridge site and fab yard were site welding involved.

Also seen a Liner hoist with lister engine & several of the old Pumps (usually in the stationary engine line up with no info other thsm "Lister + Pump")

Small kit with an engine should be encouraged by organiser rather than having 20 lister D' just put put ing away in the lineup. ;)

Dave
Interested in Tractors, Plant, Heavy Haulage or Steam visit http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/Tractor_%26_Construction_Plant_Wiki
Help document every manufacturer model build, and record every machine in preservation, clubs and events etc.

Topic author
martyn williams

Post #5 by martyn williams » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:43 pm

Found this on Ebay
Martyn

essexpete

Post #6 by essexpete » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:01 am

Benford dumper perhaps?

XS650

Post #7 by XS650 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:32 am

Could be , here's a better pic with 70's man.
Queensgate_Construction_Dec1981.jpg
:D .....................
Not all those who wander are lost.

Topic author
martyn williams

Post #8 by martyn williams » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:44 am

Hello Dave
I used to organise a few vintage events in this area,one year we had a demo of chain saws of all sizes and makes.We tried to make our events show how things were done in the past and try to avoid rows of static exibits.My Power major ran a rack saw bench and my standard run a bailer.It became harder and harder to do as the main core of the club became older and the youngsters rather played with computor games.We had some great times,Julian Carder was a club member at the time.a young lad at the time with his smashing Steelfab backhoe loader.
I think its important to preserve our heritage and document developement of classic plant.
When I took some machines to Pontypridd,the young kids loved the "diggers " so if I instilled some interest at that event I have done my job.Hopefully one of those visitors will buy an old bit of plant,restore it and exhibit it for all to see.Then our hobby will continue into the future and not die out with us old farts :lol:
Another side to the hobby is meeting people of similar interests,some become friends for life.
Martyn

Ian Fletcher1970

Post #9 by Ian Fletcher1970 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:09 pm

Here's a few bits & pieces from my archives :D

Ian

Jeremy Rowland

Post #10 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:17 pm

Ian great pics I must say there is something about that blue roller in the first pic that reminds me of those old blue invalid carriages you used to see many moons ago :lol:

Jeremy

Return to “Misc earthmoving equipment”