Priestman grabs

Discuss equipment which does not fit in in the other forums here, like cable cranes, material handlers, drilling, piling and screen equipment

Topic author
namyar

Priestman grabs

Post #1 by namyar » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:34 am

Hello all, newbie here and seeking info on Priestman grabs. Its no matter what size but prefer the type as in the picture I used to drive Priestman and Smith steam cranes using these. regards Ray.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

XS650
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Priestman grabs

Post #2 by XS650 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:45 am

Wow steam cranes !
I have a really clever Triang working model of a single line Priestman grab and a promotion model of a two line one, both from ebay.

http://www.btinternet.com/~a.esplen/models/triang.htm
Not all those who wander are lost.

BulldozerD11

Post #3 by BulldozerD11 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:27 pm

Interesting Image Ray :thumbup: welcome to CMN

the grabs them selves are not something you see much about even though they are what started the company off i belive. Have you any ideas how bigg the biggest model they built was ? as most of the machines you see about today from Priestman are not fitted with grabs, but dragline buckets or face shoves with the odd skimmer and are smallish machines any way.
Interested in Tractors, Plant, Heavy Haulage or Steam visit http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/Tractor_%26_Construction_Plant_Wiki
Help document every manufacturer model build, and record every machine in preservation, clubs and events etc.

martyn williams

Post #4 by martyn williams » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:51 pm

Hello Dave
Its incredible when you look back at the grabs from those days with their 5/8 or 3/4 cubic yard capacity compared with the machines bucket capacity these days.
Martyn

Topic author
namyar

Post #5 by namyar » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:45 am

Hi all, I think the biggest built was about 80 cu.yd. I shall post a pic next week.I would like to build a working model but cannot really remember the shape of the locking mechanism. There are two darts in the center lower beam and a bar that falls down and spreads them, I know there are parts illustrations around somewhere, I have a sheet for a twin wire reeve. KS your model is near but not quite what I need thank you.
grab 3.jpg
grab 2.jpg
smith on side.jpg

One of the cranes after it fell over and one of the grabs off it. They were 1 1/2 cu yd. cap.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Misc earthmoving equipment”