Threlkeld Museum - Rope Excavator Heaven !

Discuss equipment which does not fit in in the other forums here, like cable cranes, material handlers, drilling, piling and screen equipment

Topic author
XS650
Flag: Great Britain

Threlkeld Museum - Rope Excavator Heaven !

Post #1 by XS650 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:24 pm

Visited Threlkeld Mining and Quarrying museum last week , the best £3 I've spent . Free to wander where you want in a big quarry filled with over 100 old excavators ( mainly cable operated ) every conceivable type of Ruston Bucyrus and plenty of Priestmans , Smiths etc . Also an indoor quarrying museum , steam railway and mine ,well worth a visit open daily 10-5 only 10 minutes off M6 on A66 west of Penrith.
P1000672.JPG

P1000695.JPG

P1000683.JPG

P1000687.JPG

P1000692.JPG

P1000698.JPG

Bit of a mystery this all American LHD Transit Crane but still carrying Royal Navy markings , is it a wartime product ?
P1000704.JPG

P1000708.JPG

P1000709.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by XS650 on Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Not all those who wander are lost.

Topic author
XS650

Re: Threlkeld Museum - Rope Excavator Heaven !

Post #2 by XS650 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:29 pm

Threlkeld museum ..........have a feeling the Priestman mini wasn't made in Hull :D
P1000722.JPG

P1000723.JPG

P1000719.JPG

P1000720.JPG

P1000694.JPG

P1000717.JPG

P1000700.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Xilence
Flag: Netherlands

Post #3 by Xilence » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:33 pm

Nice pictures. Image

BulldozerD11

Post #4 by BulldozerD11 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:22 pm

Hi Craig some good photos, looks like a couple of 'new machines' from last time i went up there.

The small 'Preistman' & some of the others up there were in this post from me in January in the priestman thread. Priestman Excavators

Looks like the two AMEC machines are disappearing further into the under growth, behind the lower workshop.

Has the RB 110 moved from it position stuck on the track just off the lower Yard were it was reassembled ?

Looks well with the 3 Green machines lined up in the top quarry

The other big face shovel was broke last time i was there with one of the ropes having split.
Interested in Tractors, Plant, Heavy Haulage or Steam visit http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/Tractor_%26_Construction_Plant_Wiki
Help document every manufacturer model build, and record every machine in preservation, clubs and events etc.

Topic author
XS650

Post #5 by XS650 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:27 am

Yes Dave the 100RB is still sort of stuck in the hedge, interesting the Priestman thread I must have missed this. Looking at your photos their are machines on them that are not their now ,suppose some things come and go.
Do you know what make the ex-AMEC hydraulic face shovels are ?
Was impressed with the sheer number of machines at Threkeld ,no idea they had so many, must put one of their working days on my 'to do' list.
Here's the 110RB and a couple of Smiths for Adrie. :D
P1000710.JPG

P1000680.JPG

P1000707.JPG

DaveS

Post #6 by DaveS » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:23 pm

Hi Craig/Dave,

The two AMEC faceshovels are Akermans and belong to Peter Grimshaw, author of the 'Excavators' book.

Dave. S.

Xilence
Flag: Netherlands

Post #7 by Xilence » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:09 pm

XS650 wrote:Yes Dave the 100RB is still sort of stuck in the hedge, interesting the Priestman thread I must have missed this. Looking at your photos their are machines on them that are not their now ,suppose some things come and go.
Do you know what make the ex-AMEC hydraulic face shovels are ?
Was impressed with the sheer number of machines at Threkeld ,no idea they had so many, must put one of their working days on my 'to do' list.
Here's the 110RB and a couple of Smiths for Adrie. :D

i appreciate it.
i have already spotted the white Smith 12 excavator and have my doubts in the red crane.
Then A 'Two-ten' excavator (I think) and a Smith 14

Looks like I must visit England once. Image

IBH

Post #8 by IBH » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:11 pm

The two excavators in AMEC's colours are both Akerman excavators fitted with Coal Shovel equipment and I seem to recall they are/were in the ownership of Peter N Grimshaw and came from an AMEC Mining site in Scotland in the very early 00's. It looks like they haven't been moved since I last visited Threlkeld about 5 years ago!

BulldozerD11

Post #9 by BulldozerD11 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:20 am

Thanks craig

110 RB Looks to be in the same spot as was, just starting the climb.

Thanks Daves & IBH (had a mental block as to make ) :doh:
One of the AMEC Ackerman's was being fired up (attempted to be) last year when i was there. Think Peter Grimshaw was one of the founder members of the VET i recall reading / hearing somewhere.

First time i went they were over near were the 110 is helping forming part of the yard (at that time the lower workshop) was being built.

Some machines have moved off site (and the odd member as well from what i heard), but more machines have arrived over the last few years.

IMO they could do with some new info boards / sheets with the machine for visitors, like they had first time i visited. As no info on what belongs to the trust and what belongs to others or what machines are even.

Also last time i went there was no info to encourage people to join up/ support them that i could see :!:
It just appeared to be a play day for machine owners. (that was the impression i got).

But still worth a visit to see so many different machines if you have not been. :thumbup:

Some of my photos from visits to the VET at Threlkeld in the past are here - http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/VET

Dave
Interested in Tractors, Plant, Heavy Haulage or Steam visit http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/Tractor_%26_Construction_Plant_Wiki
Help document every manufacturer model build, and record every machine in preservation, clubs and events etc.

Topic author
XS650

Post #10 by XS650 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:22 am

IMO they could do with some new info boards / sheets with the machine for visitors, like they had first time i visited. As no info on what belongs to the trust and what belongs to others or what machines are even.

Yes there was not a single notice about the excavators ,ok by me but not encouraging for the masses. Think they may be concentrating on the museum bit. It was great to be allowed to wander around at will without all the don' t touvcchhealth and safety malarkey though .

Return to “Misc earthmoving equipment”